Advance Rod Movement

Pandorasglocks

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just installed a Pamco ignition system after years of having the TCI. Yesterday after a 30mi highway ride I heard an alarming sound coming from the right side of the engine near the advance rod cover, it sounded like something was bouncing around.. After sitting at the exit for like 10 seconds the noise stopped. I then rode home a mile away and opened up the right side cover and everything seemed in order, except that my advance rod has some movement in it, that is, it can be moved with ease about 1cm back and forth. It was like this when I installed it but I thought it was normal since I had no left over parts after installing the Pamco. Is this movement normal? I have never heard this noise before thats why I think its coming from the advance rod but perhaps not.

- back and forth?..left and right? or forwards and backwards?
- has the lock nut come loose...should be locktited ?...pin brocken?

008_055.jpg

Left and right if you are sitting on the bike. The locknut is tight but I did not put locktight on it. Also the lock washers on either side are still compressed. I haven't checked the pin but the timing hasn't gone out of wack so I figured it was fine.

Pandor....,

The advance rod from Mikes is .5mm longer than OEM. The OEM rod has about .5mm of play, so Mikes has about 1 mm of play or about 1/32", but no where near 1 cm, which is about .337 inches or about 3/8". So, if you meant to say 1mm that is normal.

If it is in fact 1cm, then its possible that the rotor is not fully seated on the rod. Remove the slotted dick on the right side and pull the rod with the rotor still attached out on the left side and have a look. However, if it was that far out, then you would not have much thread for the nut on the rotor side and could not install the washer.

That noise could be caused by the advance plate coming loose and then perhaps returning to it's proper place, so check the tightness of the spanner nut that holds the plate on. Use a small hammer and punch to tap the spanner nut tight all the way around. Don't smash it, but give it a few healthy whacks.

Ya I did mean mm sorry! it may be a little over an mm but I hammered the spanner nut pretty good when I put it on and everything looks to be in order. Is it normal to hear the advance at all? I know these bikes are noisy but it seems like it got a little noisier.

Pando..........,

Well, I would have to hear the noise first. There have been reports of the rotor on the left side acting like an amplifier of engine noise, but I am not aware of anything unusual on the right side.

I can send you a .5mm shim washer if you want to try that to eliminate half of the free play. Just PM your address.

Back