Allison C4 wet-clutch approved oils list

I think it's a safe bet this list wasn't assembled for the vintage motorcycle enthusiast. Hopefully it will answer some questions for those that want to run diesel oils in their bikes.

Be easier to read the jug the oil comes in. All the info you need is written on the back.
Leo

Leo,
Your eyes must be better than mine.
E

Attachments

• oil.jpg
    oil.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 429
I've been in the motorcycle arena for over 50 years and I'm always open to new ideas and/or new information. So educate us, since I've never heard of a "Allison" rating system for motorcycle oils.

The Japanese motorcycle industry has a set of standards for oils. The rating for our XS650's (with wet clutches) is JASCO MA. The MA designates "For use with wet clutches". This rating is on the containers of motorcycle specific oils.
Up until a few years ago automotive oils could be used in motorcycle engines without problems. However, after automotive oils were reformulated they are no longer suitable. Now, we either use motorcycle specific oil or oils designed for diesel engines.
So who is "Allison" and how do they factor into oil choice? Inquiring minds want to know...

Allison : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allison_Transmission

Allison is a very large player in the industrial transmission market. Their C4 specification is required (or at least WAS required, looks like it's being phased out) for fluids in these transmissions. Any C4 approved engine oil has to be wet clutch friendly.

C4 isn't a motorcycle oil specification, it's a heavy-duty commercial/diesel engine oil specification that works very well in motorcycle applications. some folks like that 'cause maybe they can get diesel oil cheaper than motorcycle oil.

Back