An idiots guide to engine rebuilds

Gcraay

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm looking for a book or preferably a video series that completely rebuilds an xs 650 engine and trans. Something that is idiot proof. You guessed it, I'm the idiot. I'm excited to rebuild the engine, or at least disassemble it for a good cleaning and powder coating. I am strongly considering sending it to Hugh's Hand built for the full Monty. But, I would like to inspect it before hand so as to prepare for what I am afraid of. My fear that I have a boat anchor and not a motor. I need to be able to be shown what to recognize as problem areas, such as stress cracks, signs of abuse...etc. Please guide me into the light fellow members. :thumbsup:

I think part of getting involved with these bikes is the fact of learning how to wrench on them. At first they might seem complicated but after a while you will figure it all out. The motors are very forgiving. Even one that is in poor condition will run with power and can do it for a long time.

Is it running, together now? Do a compression test first, drain the oil, pull the filters and look around. Get a Clymbers and factory parts and service manual. Read, look at pictures, take pictures and refer to this place. Sending off a motor to get work done will not educate you and the shipping adds a big expense. Hugh does great work but these bikes do need attention time to time even when everything is done right. If you are local to your motor man that is great. If you have deep pockets then ship it out. If you are in this for the long haul learn your bike so you can make it home when something gets wacky and you can figure it out. Good luck.

Great points, I'm just a bit nervous about finding the boat anchor side of an engine. I will be getting the manuals and will be doing a lot myself. I wil surely be using this forum often thanks.

Back