An opinion needed on air filters

Stone Hands

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 72 XS2. It is all stock with a couple of small exceptions. I changed out the paper filters and put in 2 K&N elements. Bought them from K&N. I added on billet air intake extensions so it would move the filters back about 3/4 of an inch and the side covers would fit on normally.

An opinion of the K&N pod filters anyone? Curious. Have not run the bike yet but that is coming this weekend.

Maybe setting them back farther will help some but generally, K&N or even K&N type pleated element style pods do not work that well with these CV carbs. The pleats induce some turbulence in the air flow and the slides depend on a smooth air flow to lift and operate best. Most of us use UNI foam pods. They don't cause that turbulence and work better.

I'm running k&n pods on mine with an 1 1/2-2" extension. It's an 81 though but I don't have any issues.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 213
Maybe setting them back farther will help some but generally, K&N or even K&N type pleated element style pods do not work that well with these CV carbs. The pleats induce some turbulence in the air flow and the slides depend on a smooth air flow to lift and operate best. Most of us use UNI foam pods. They don't cause that turbulence and work better.

Thank you. Based on that, and I believe you, the K&N filters would not work any worse than the original paper pleated box's that I took off. Is my logic right? I may go to the Uni Pods after I try the K&N's for a couple of week. Did you have to re-jet with the Uni Pods?

You're talking apples and oranges here. Yes, the originals were pleated but contained farther back in an airbox and pulled in mostly still air. K&N replacement airbox filters (original copies) will probably work fine but their pod style, not so much. They do work, you just won't get the best performance possible out of your carbs. No doubt they flow enough air, it's just that the flow is turbulent around the outside edges when it first comes through the pleats. The problem arises because the intake bell on your CV carb has air jets and an air intake for slide operation around it's outside edge.

The rough air flow to the slide intake cause a phenomenon called "slide flutter", which is just what the name implies. Instead of lifting smoothly, the slide will bounce up and down rapidly. This occurs mainly when the slide first tries to lift, around 4K. This makes the carbs more susceptible to break-up in that range. Now, if you're increasing main jet sizes due to mods, break-up in the 4K range is one of the indicators you look for to tell you your mains are getting too big. The K&N pods allow this to happen sooner, before your mains actually are too big. So, you end up running mains smaller than ideal. You think you did right because you followed the carb tuning indicators, but you've been fooled. The K&N pods are causing the break-up, not the mains.

Back