ANOTHER clutch problem !

TurboFarviknugn

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Am i correct in thinking, that when the trans is in gear and the clutch lever is pulled in that the bike should move freely ?

Cause mine DONT !

I have screwed the lever adjuster all the way in removed the sidecase adjuster cover loosened the lock nut turned adjuster screw clockwise until tension is felt (expirimented and screwed it past that point) tightened locknut, but still the same result, can feel engine turning with lever pulled in. Whats wierd is it feels like there is clutch there, but just wont wont roll without turning engine over.

Ant thoughts ? did i miss a step ? Btw followed haynes manual. :wtf:

Well there is a little more drag than if the bike is in neutral, but not a tremendous amount more. On mine, one time it would lock up solid if I was trying to pull it backwards in gear with the clutch pulled. Not all the time, and I think some aged Rotella might have factored in too. Strange. I pulled the right case cover and discovered that the pressure plate hole hadn't been lined up with the mark like it's supposed to be. Fixed that, and never had the problem since. Or your clutch could be misadjusted :)

When I first put mine back together the friction discs were "sticky" for lack of a better description and was causing the same symptoms you are describing even with my hydraulic clutch conversion using the Aprilia slave cylinder. After a few times of rolling back and forth it would loosen up enough that it wouldn't turn the motor but still had quite a bit of friction. When I changed my friction discs and springs over to the Barnett kit I bought the problem went away entirely. Are you reusing the old friction discs in your clutch? I remember reading somewhere that you can scuff the friction plates and resoak in the oil you plan to use overnight to help alleviate the problem but I can't remember exactly where I read that so I could be way off in left field.

Right, sticky plates would cause it. The misalignment I mentioned would exacerbate sticky plates, and old Rotella might exacerbate that in turn.... Try cleaning the plates and checking the pressure plate alignment.

^It might be worth saying use a hand impact driver and a hammer to loosen the clutch spring screws. Seems like there's been a rash of stripped heads on here. I keep reusing the same gasket there with no leaking. I think it's the original one.

I may be having the same trouble. Yesterday afternoon I installed an overdrive and a set of allen head clutch spring bolts everything seemed fine until this afternoon. The clutch was not holding and the bike wouldnt pull out of its tracks, I adjusted it on the case then it wouldnt release. A little later I discovered that the worm gear seemed to be sticking, pulled that cover and it worked great without any load. I finally adjusted it enough to blast through the neighborhood but it still seems slow to release and has a heavier than normal pull effort. For now Im going to try it and hope a lot that it loosens

So I pulled the clutch basket again just to check everything and swap out the thrust bearing upgrade from mikes. When I got it back together I noticed the basket moved in and out a little bit so I moved the washers/shims around until the basket didnt move anymore put it all back together and still it was tight and notchy. So I decided to pull the LH cover and found the worm had a real tight spot right when it seated, cleaned it all up greased the worm and now the lever smooth as any other bike I have ever ridden. Even did a little 1:30 am burn out to check for clutch slip and to let the neighborhood know my bike was fixed.

seems like the clutch plates were just stuck, today I started the bike and the clutch was not working so I decided to crank the adjustment screw way in, well when I went to kick it over it all freed up. Adjusted the clutch according to the manual, all is working fine I even took the bike for its FIRST spin through the neighborhood. MAN it was NICE to be on TWO WHEELS AGAIN !!!:bike:

Back