Another failed MikesXS Part

marvintheminnow

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
my MikesXS clutch cable snapped off at the lever this weekend. this cable had maybe 400 miles of riding on it. Its funny how after it broke I dug up what could still be the original cable and it works great. Is there a another source out there that provides generic clutch cables that may work with the XS? Im not funding MikesXS for another poorly made cable.

I've been running his clutch cable all season, no problems yet. I've had a few disappointing items from him, but nothing that bothered me enough to ask for a refund yet. His carb boots are deteriorating quickly, but I was warned about that.

I got a Motion Pro from Old Bike Barn, but I have not installed it yet because I have been so busy working on other issues, and because I dread taking that left cover off for the 178th time...

Suppose I'd better get to it this winter.

How was your lever pull?

TC

That particular problem has come up a number of times on this and other sites. Get in touch with MMM at 650central. So, the ordering process is kind of a pain. It's well worth it for the product quality and customer service.

A good rule of thumb is "Mike's is a last resort."

I got a Motion Pro from Old Bike Barn, but I have not installed it yet because I have been so busy working on other issues, and because I dread taking that left cover off for the 178th time...

Suppose I'd better get to it this winter.

How was your lever pull?

TC

I had to do this on the side of the road at midnight.... not fun

The motion pro cable is really nice and heavy duty. I have always used MP on all my bike with no problems. Cheapest find is on eBay.

The last Motion pro cable I bought was about 7 years ago. Keep it lubed and it should last for years to come.
The inner cable is like .098 dia, Mike's is like .072 dia. I think thats what has been reported. At 36% heavier it should last.

Mini hijack...

Who makes the parts stamped with XS performance? :shrug:

Is there a supplier for these parts? How do both Mikes and MMM sell the same products?

I would highly recommend 650central.com.

650 Central buys parts from Mike's and resells them. If you look at his part numbers you will see the prefix indicates they come from Mike's.
Lots of Mike's parts are good parts, a few not so good. Customer support is one of Mike's shortcomings.

Customer support is one of Mike's shortcomings.

The fact that he's a rude, inconsiderate, unapologetic douchebag being another...

Not all of MMM's parts are the same. The fact that he doesn't have a total meltdown if something you buy from him is defective goes a long, long way.

It is not a nice thing to have a new part brake.

He used to post at the 650rider and he was informative about what he was doing and availability of his products and did address some issues that some of his customers had.
He is not a good communicator and would not answer some issues but would take notice because it would show up on his site as a note or some such thing.

I don't know if he was ever invited to participate in this forum but with the repetitive (and boring) name calling why would he bother to if invited or inclined to participate

. Even some of his worse critics are objective enough to give Mikes credit where credit is due.

MMM is a bike enthusiast who has raced and so knows these bike inside out. The cost of his parts reflect that, the cheaper parts he gets from mikes so he must have some faith in some of Mikes products

Mikes on the other hand is a person who has tried to help the 650 community to get these bikes on the road and unfortunately to keep the prices at a level where people will buy them he has to deal with the quality of today's market, the Chinese connection.

Any one with a few years remembers the Quality of the Taiwanese and Koreans and Japanese products When they first come out. The phrase Jap crap is still used

I've read his posts on 650rider. He was as much of an asshole over there, back then, as he continues to be. I don't particularly care if you find the name-calling repetitive and boring, he is what he is. There are people constantly joining this forum who should know what kind of person they are dealing with BEFORE they get to experience the "joy" of his personality. Then they can make an informed decision.

He's a lousy human being at best and a disingenuous jerk at worst. He has misrepresented products in the past so that he could sell whatever he had in inventory, before seeking out a "better" product.

He hasn't tried to help anyone, skull, other than himself. He is clearly out to make a profit (no problem with me there except the dishonesty and out-and-out dickitry on his part). He saw an opportunity to fill a void in a market and he took advantage of it to make himself a not-inconsiderable living. IT'S HIS BUSINESS. He doesn't do it for you or me. If he was trying to help people he wouldn't tell them what amounts to "fuck off" nearly every time (and sometimes quite literally) someone has a problem with one of his products, if he deigns to respond at all.

Why you feel the need to jump to his defense every time this comes up I will never understand. What exactly should I give him credit for? Making money? Selling products he KNOWS are faulty? Looking for more ways to make a profit? Not standing behind what he sells? Not answering emails (he's always done that)? Being nasty in emails even when he is clearly at fault? Yeah, he gets a big old pat on the back from me... :laugh:

I have to step in here. I have been restoring 650s since before Mikes. It was very, very difficult to find parts. And then came Mikes. Parts to keep the bikes running became easy to get. Then parts that looked correct for restorations became easy to get. Then just plain parts in general became easy to get. I am currently restoring a 1970 XS1 that was way past gone, but matching numbers. This bike will be back 100% thanks to MikesXS. His reproduction shocks for the 1B have been disassmbled and repainted green. The bike will have a New reproduction exhaust assembly on it. Grey cables, gas cap, spokes, gaskets, seals, the list can go on and on. Because of MikesXS.
I do understand some of the issues referred to, but, in large part, our bikes can be kept on the road thanks to Mikes. Even 650Central would have needs without Mikes.
And no, I don't have a vested interest. Just an appreciation for what they've done for our bikes. And our lives have been made easier.

Back