Any tips on shortening a clutch cable?

livingdeadmc

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I moved my clutch lever to just below my seat. So I need to make a clutch cable that is about 10 inches long. Any how to's on making a cable smaller?

I've seen some videos of dudes that just cut the cable down and solder a new end on. Just seeing if there's any other tricks out there.

I adjust the length by removing the cable from the housing, then cut the housing to length, then cut the cable to length (tape cable and cut with cut-off wheel), the install in housing, then use aluminum rod of right diameter from ACE, drill rod for cable, cut rod to length, smash aluminum piece onto the cable and file to fit. Anyway, this is one way to shorten your cable (brass or stainless steel rod would work too)

Fairly straight forward. All my stock cables on the past few builds have been shortened. The challenging part is re-attaching the nipple on the clutch cable, as it's put under greater load. You can either re-solder or use the screw down type, readily available in universal kits.

1. Firstly remove the cable from the bike and inspect for defects. Last thing you want to do I a bunch of work on a knackered cable
2. Cut the nipple off at the lever end and trim the stub of cable flush
3. At 90 degrees to the original cable pathe through the nipple, drill another
Hole through the same dimension as the cable and lightly countersink one side. This will help with the soldering later
4. Carefully remove the cap from the outer cable, we'll want that later on
5. Measure your cable length and cut to suit with a junior hacksaw
6. Trim any rags from the end and dab with oil. Lightly grip the outer cable in a vice with about a half inch protruding and tap on the cap, being careful not to damage it
7. Cut the same amount from the inner cable, with some good snips and reinsert into the outer
8. Grip the inner cable lightly in the vice with around a half inch poking above
9. Drop the nipple on with the countersink side facing up and adjust the inner cable in the vice so that a 1/16th is above the nipple whilst it's resting on the jaws of the vice
10. Using a centre punch, splay the end of the cable into the countersink area
11. With a propane torch and regular solder, start heating the nipple. Don't go overboard as you can melt the whole thing. Just enough to get the solder flowing into the inner cable, down into the nipple and fill the counter sink
12. Leave to cool and remove from the vice
13. Dress the nipple to be flush and true
14. Libricate the cable and refit to the bike adjusting to suit as normal

Back