Anyone built/found bar mounted idle adjuster?

halliday77

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Been thinking about a fix to having to adjust my idle speed between cold bike and warm ride.

I've got VM34's, so my idle screws are separate.

I've been thinking that once they're sync'ed, it would be possible to build in a switch or dial, of sorts, by the throttle control, that basically tightens the cable ever so slightly, to raise idle without affecting the throttle control or risk un-syncing the carbs.

Turn the dial to raise idle for the warmup, when the bike gets up to temp, switch it back down.

Has anyone built or found something that does this?
Or am I just over-engineering things... again.

Cheers.

I accidentally and inadvertently fixed mine. I installed aftermarket grips that were longer than stock and actually hung off the end of the throttle tube a little. By installing the grip up snug to the throttle housing, it rubs a little and holds the throttle open a hair at idle for me if need be. It doesn't rub enough to make the turning hard nor enough to hold the grip open at anything more than just cracked. The slide and butterfly arm return springs are too strong to allow that.

They sell many things of that sort, sold by many names, Vista Cruise is one. Using a throttle that has an adjuster screw in it like Harley has used for many years will work.
Leo

I use "go cruise" throttle control.
it works fine for that and cruise control .
$20 at ebay the best mod on my bikes.
it's a great cramp buster
it takes 15 seconds to install too

I did something similar to my Triumph. It has Amal MK II carbs and I was able to get enrichener plungers that are cable controlled to replace the lever controlled plungers. I built a throttle cable with a spliter for the two carbs and hooked this to a Brit type choke lever on the handlebar. I turn the lever full to start and back it off to fast idle.

What this discription does for XS owners is give a layout to duplicate. Mikuni carbs use cable operated plungers on snowmobiles. If those plungers on the snowmobile carbs will drop into the BS carbs then the rest is gathering available parts.

Tom

Back