Anyone near Kansas City lookin to help out for extra bucks??

Ksboy19

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Well, this is my last straw on this damn bike, i know i know its not the bikes fault, but its one thing after another and it should have been on the road a month ago. But I have a stripped banjo bolt, where the bolt connects to the oil union on the engine. I have purchased a heli-coil today to fix the threads and of course my mechanic friend backs out, should have known and simply I have no clue what im doing with thread repair. Anyone close who'd wants some extra cash to come show me how and work this out with me. Its the only thing keepin her off the road, and im dyin for a ride, keep in mind i dont have hundreds to throw at you but ill be fair and we can settle on a good price. Im busy with Medic school off and on, but im sure we can find a date. Thanks for anyones help! :thumbsup:

I know some guys in your area that could have it done same or next day for you if you can't find anyone.

Call Harrison Machine Shop in Olathe. We have them do one-offnstuff all of the time. Great guys, quick turn around, and reasonably priced. They do awesome work too. They may be able to do it while you wait.

(913) 764-0730

Your talking about one of the banjo bolts on the head, correct? Yes, remove the engine, you have to be perfectly square for the Heli-Coil to work.

Thanks for the advice guys! Im so damn pissed off about this, another stupid mistake may end my season. I dont have the knowledge or tools to do this myself, and im not sure any shop can do it without pulling the cylinder off... I dont even know my options. gahhhh... so flustered.

I know a guy...actually he's a mechanic. Good guy. Lives and works in Merriam. Makes his living working on bikes. Lots of vintage stuff. Joe Bolduc
Here's his site: http://bolduccycle.com/
If he can't do it or give some advice he might be able to point you in the right direction. Joe's cool. :thumbsup:

Gonna be a paramedic? I might know where you can get a job...

The engine can be removed with basic metric hand tool's, and it's not all that difficult. Get a manual and folow the step's, easy peasy.

Ha, ive had the engine out more than I can count. I just dont have the tools to take the engine apart properly. Im gonna make some calls and get it straightened out. Thanks fellas!

Whoa, whoa! Just pull the rocker box and take it in. No need to drag an entire motor into the shop. Plus they would take the rocker box off anyway, and charge you for that time. There is too great of a risk of metal shavings falling into the rocker area as well.

It's going to be a bit of work, but its not too bad. Just be sure to use some yamabond or three bond when you put the rocker box back on and some antisieze on the rod cap nuts. Then retorque everything. You will not have to dick with the cam, cam chain, or any of that. You might get away with removing the top screws inside the points and advanced assembly and leave them in place, but I have never tried it before. Maybe others can chime in.

There is a good step by step here but it has gotten a little screwed up over time. Making a new how to for XS650 engine rebuilds is on my list of things to do, but I never seem to have the time.

http://www.mikesxs.net/xs650engine/

I know a guy...actually he's a mechanic. Good guy. Lives and works in Merriam. Makes his living working on bikes. Lots of vintage stuff. Joe Bolduc
Here's his site: http://bolduccycle.com/
If he can't do it or give some advice he might be able to point you in the right direction. Joe's cool. :thumbsup:

Gonna be a paramedic? I might know where you can get a job...

Thanks alot man ill give him a call in the morning! And yes, paramedic here i come, I love it, im in my clinical stage right now. About this job, please do tell more! :D

Sorry 'bout that, Chief. Don't think dis-assembly is required to re-tap and Heli-Coil the banjo hole.

I hear where you're coming from, I would just be concerned about what falls in there, no matter how much grease you use on the end of the drill bit.

Don't get me wrong, it would probably work, but personally I would pull the rocker box IMHO. Cheap insurance.

Sorry guys maybe I didnt give a good description, the stripped part is where the oil line meets the engine case. Its called the oil union, I believe it was stripped by the PO and luckily found by me. So now what are you guys thinking? Pull the engine and pay someone to fix it? ha. Im afraid that leaving the engine assembled with get metal flakes into the oil pan, but also its a hard to get to spot if you leave the cylinders on. So it appears im off to a MC shop. Unless theres any other idea, god i hope there is ha.

Oh, hell. Totally different then what we were talking about. Lol. Now back to the drawing board. It's going to be next to impossible to get to that without removing the top end. Man, that sucks. It's totally stripped?

Maybe someone will know a quick fix, but if it's completely stripped, that's going to be tough.

It isnt completly stripped, the oil union will hold, but does "jiggle" a bit back and forth. Ive been told JB weld should do the trick, but i really dont wanna half ass it, but i dont have hundreds to spend on rebuilding the damn thing either. So my options that ive came up with are: Jb weld it and pray it hold and buy a new engine and rebuild it then swap em out.. 2) fork over the cash and have someone tear into it and fix it properly,3) there was a three i just can remember. What are your opinions on these ideas, and if you have more lets hear em!

If you're talking about the part that screws into the engine case being loose.....jb weld it and forget it, I don't believe there would ever be an occasion to take that union out for any purpose, ever again, unless you bugger the upper threads of that union that connect to the riser tube. I believe you're turning a 5 dollar repair into a nightmare. Clean the threads of as much oil as you can and let the weld sit for 24 hours before connecting the riser..... and don't tighten the dog shit out of the riser....

If you're talking about the part that screws into the engine case being loose.....jb weld it and forget it, I don't believe there would ever be an occasion to take that union out for any purpose, ever again, unless you bugger the upper threads of that union that connect to the riser tube. I believe you're turning a 5 dollar repair into a nightmare. Clean the threads of as much oil as you can and let the weld sit for 24 hours before connecting the riser..... and don't tighten the dog shit out of the riser....

I'm going to have to agree.

+ 1 on the JB weld between the cylinder's. That should be a permanent fix IF the pipe connection is good.

Back