Aussie build

Greenmachine

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking at buying an xs650 to build as a bobber/chopper. I have heard it is quite a fun job registering modified bikes here and advice given to me is to by an australian complianced frame or full bike. I havn't been able to find any cheap starter bikes to strip down yet, they range from around $2000 for arusted out heap to $6500 for a great condition bike.
I have come across this rolling frame that I think will be perfect as the frame has already been raked, has extended forks, sprtster tank and has had a bratstyle lowered seat and still runs rear shocks which suits me as I have a bad back. I love the hardtail look but with my bad back it would not be practical and I want something I could cruise on all day instead of only being able to handle an hour of riding untill my spine falls apart!
Anyway this guy is holding onto the bike for me untill I come up with the cash which hopefully won't be far away ( got to sell a dirt bike first, Missus's rules!)
Here is a pic of what I will have to play with and hopefully continue keeping you up to date with my progress.
Note. seat is not mounted and doesnt come with bike.

Attachments

• 25148243.jpg
    25148243.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 241
I'm not sure in qld but with the rake job you may need to have an engineers cert to get that registered. I avoided any structural changes on my bike so there was no risk on my first build and my (naive) understanding was any structural frame mods would require engineers certification for registration. Who knows though, if its not raked too much maybe they wont notice.

Also you should figure in quite a bit of coin for a motor. Most sell for $1k on ebay or you could buy a built finished motor off Peter Kommer for $2k

Yeah I know about the bs involved with the frame mods etc but the guy that is selling it does rwc's and said he could look after that side of things. He can also do me an engine for $500, I would be rebuilding any engine for my project anyway so would work out well for me I think. The guy selling has been in the scene along time and knows his ins and outs, rebuilds bikes for customers etc and has alot of xs650 parts and connections which will be handy for me during my build. I have thought about the registering problem and if he can work this out for me like he says he can, it should work out well. He also seems like a stand up guy, been around along time and wont be dissappearing on me anytime soon so I have faith in him and the deal working out. (hope I don't bite my words)

Yeah AustBlue, this guy pretty much buys basket cases or any xs's he can get his hands on cheap and going or not he strips the bikes and from what he was saying that is his standard price for a motor with no garuantee it runs or not and also that doesn't include carbs. So I wouldn't buy one from him expecting it to run but if your gonna rebuild anyway like me that's a good starting point. If your chasing any bits I can put you in touch with him but he only has a couple of motors at the moment and sells them as they come in so once I get my bits that I need I can pass some details on as I dont want miss out on what he has in stock at the moment and have to wait untill more come in which can be pretty slow.
Thanks ANLAF enjoying the forum, already gaining some useful knowledge and contacts and realy looking forward to getting my project underway. It will be a slow process for me as my funds are limited to what the missus doesn't know about, hehe! But going to try a rat build first so painting/powdercoating, new flashy parts etc will be kept to a minimum for my first build, only thing I will be spending good money on is building the motor right the first time round so it can be used in future builds etc.

No guarantee of a running engine once rebuilt for $500? Sounds like daylight robbery.

Anywho, good luck on your project. Would be good to see another xs650 on aus roads.

Hi,

I will have a few original parts available soon if you need them. But if you are modifying it you won't will you!

Be cautious about the difference between RWC and engineering compliance. The two are worlds apart in MVR land. Go see them first and get the story before you invest the $$$$

Biggles

Getting engineered/rego isn't difficult. Any frame mod requires engineers letter. At a basic level as long as it looks good (no bird shit welds) and you can produce evidence a certified welder did the work (a letter that looks legit - it doesn't get checked) you'll be fine. But the reality is as you're riding the thing, an it's your life so you would want to know it's done well and see evidence of this.

If you want a good engineer details let me know, his in SE QLD and is a bike nut himself.

Last week there were a heap of imports on ebay with a great looking runner for about 3k. Get pre '75 or close to as the ADR's (or lack of) make modding heaps easier.

tmb99 thanks for the info, I have looked further into it all and I'm scrapping the idea of buying that rolling chassis in pic above. Rang a heap more enginneers and think I'm on the right track. Yep pre 75 is the plan. Thinking of once I get my donor bike I will contact the enginneer and run the whole thing past him as to what I plan to do. Thinking of a monstercraftsman brat kit (I have a bad back so still want suspension) and showing the kit and even the video they have online of the procedure and getting him to recommend a welder of his choice if possible so he shouldn't be suspect of the welds etc. If I keep all the main things like original wheels and brakes and controls etc I shouldnt have too many probs getting it past. Just going to change more the cosmetics side of things, seat, guards, sportster tank, drag bars, tail light, head light and indicators etc and I'd like to do away with the bulky original guages and just put a small unnoticeable speedo on. Anyway all just dreams still until I get myself a dam bike first. Most for sale at the moment are too good to pull apart and cut up! Not to mention the prices they want.

Last edited:
Ok so finally I have myself a frame and motor, 1981 Aust compliance. The motor is missing a few bits n pieces but nothing major.

Bottom end is matching numbers so 81 but from what I'm told top end is off a Tx and apparently this is a good combination. Can any one shed some light on why this is?

Lots of parts to source (stock forks and yokes, wheels and brakes etc, and then the rest mainly custom)

Engine to pull down and see what's needed. If too many parts missing from motor I may be able to pick up another complete I know of cheap if still available and maybe use my matching numbers crankcase and transfer other parts over to make complete.

Will put up pics soon to document my progress.

Posted via Mobile

the 73 tx (257 frame) had a warmer cam,but the 74tx (447 frame) and later had a milder cam. the 73 and earlier was roughly the eqivilent to a shell one grind on the later bikes

As Flea says on the cams.

The TX prefix is sometimes used on a 74 But the 74 is a TXA. If you have a 73TX top end then the cam chain wheel will have to be changed to a 447 cog if you use an 81 447 engine crank

the bike offered for 3Gs with a running engine and good sell-able parts would have worked out cheaper, especially as it is up to RW standard. Could have changed it after the RW and have no hassles. Any ways glad you are happy with what you have.

Thanks guys that helps me about the tx topend combo.
650skull, If I had 3g's I would have had a look but I have limited funds so just picking up bits cheap as funds allow is the only way for me to get a project happening at all. I have some contacts for most of the other bits I need but as I said it will be a slow process for me but at least I am finally in the game.

Posted via Mobile

opps.assumed the motor and head were already joined.if not the 256 motors had a 34 teeth on the cam sproket,the 447 on 36 teeth on the cam sproket. if you have to replace the sproket its worth the money to replace with a adjustible sproket.theres was a bloke on xs650 club pages selling them (not me)....good luck with the build

Ok so took some photo's, we have all seen an old xs650 frame and motor but putting them up so we can see what I started with and it's transfomation as the build progresses.
Only thing not in pics is the carbies which look rebuildable and clutch parts which will be replaced.
So lots of parts to get but you've gotta start somewhere! I pretty well have all my build ideas in my head but havn't found a tank I like just yet.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• DSC_0613 (640x426).jpg
    DSC_0613 (640x426).jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 207
  • DSC_0614 (492x640).jpg
    DSC_0614 (492x640).jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 203
  • DSC_0615 (640x426).jpg
    DSC_0615 (640x426).jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC_0616 (640x426).jpg
    DSC_0616 (640x426).jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC_0618 (640x426).jpg
    DSC_0618 (640x426).jpg
    227 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Open it up - I'd be starting to look for another motor. Needs to be rebearinged at a minimum...

So I pulled the head and barrels off today. When I went to pull it down I found the nuts and bolts loose etc so knew someone had already had it open for a sticky beak. No cam chain fitted? Either broken and fallen into crankcase or been pulled out and motor dummied together. Cam has 447 stamped on it and has 36 tooth sprocket so there goes the earlier model head talk that I was told was on it. No wear on cam lobes or sprocket, rockers look good too. Valves, pistons and bores look suprisingly better than expected. a lot of carbon deposits but no damage apparent. I plan on going 750 big bore kit anyway. Anything usable or sellable from this motor will be a bonus as I really only want it for the matching numbers case. Every bearing, gasket, seal, sus bolts etc will be replaced and won't be doing anything by halfs. Expensive exersize I know but that's the way I want to go. Don't just want to put a runner in it as I plan on keeping this bike till I'm old and grey and I want to do and learn every bit of this bike for the experience.

Will put up more pics of what the guts of this motor looks like soon when I have more time to spare!

Posted via Mobile

Back