average xs650 price running and not running?

I love the bike it's def fun to ride! And I found a half finished one but honestly I only found 1 half finished build and it looks like a cobbled mess of a bike

Update: found a 78 650 special for 600 says it sat from 83-13 then got it road worthy again or at least the carbs rebuilt and should start if a new battery is put in - - -

Hi tuba,
for $600, go for it!
The front engine mount bolt's seeming absence hints there's more to the seller's condition report than he's saying.
Don't even ask him where it is, sellers are seldom truthful.
If you make the deal, swap out the tires before you ride it. 30+ year old rubber is a killer.
And lose those aesthically challenged ergonomically disastrous rototiller bars too.

I noticed that but honestly didn't put any thought into what was suppose to be there, so thanks.for pointing it out. Also yeah I'm hoping its a decent bike, planning.to chop it all up to make a bobber out of it

- - - yeah I'm hoping its a decent bike, planning.to chop it all up to make a bobber out of it

Hi tuba,
yeah, I used to rant on about "Sawzall Vandals" but now I realize that the more that XS650s get hardtailed the greater the worth of my unmolested bike becomes.
So thanks. Your chiropractor will thank you too.

I had a yamaha xs650 converted to a hardtail with no springs on my seat so it can't be as bad and just gonna be a town cruiser. My vaquero is my main cruiser so it shouldn't be bad

That bike looks pretty good. I would clean it up at see how it runs before you start cutting. Sell it and start looking for a pile to bob.

I had a yamaha xs650 converted to a hardtail with no springs on my seat so it can't be as bad and just gonna be a town cruiser. My vaquero is my main cruiser so it shouldn't be bad

Hi tuba,
my first 5 years riding was all on hardtails except back then we called them rigids and they came from the factory that way.
Gotta tell you I bought a modern bike with rear suspension the first moment I could rake up a down-payment from my apprentice wages.
(admittedly I've been in debt and making payments ever since but that's another story)
Anyone who voluntarily rides a hardtail has to be a masochist.

Yeah I have a bagger and love it def comfortable I just like the looks of a hardtail. Yeah its not Ideal for riding all the time but just a town cruiser it.shouldn't be too bad. Def works on your back though

I bought my '75 (not running) with a title for $200.00 + 3 bottles of good booze. The $200.00 was for the title and the booze was for the bike. Considered it a bargain. My '79 (not running) with a title and an extra motor (mostly all there - the motor, not me...) for $200.00 (no booze involved), a better bargain. And my '81 (wait for it... not running) with NO title for $50.00 (what we call a North Country lawn ornament). A steal, since I can part it out for more than I paid for all 3... If you wanna do some leg work, and wrench work, there are bargains to be had. It's making them runners that'll cost ya!... The moral of the story is this: "If you want good, clean oats, you have to pay a premium price. If you want oats that have already been through the horse, there is a considerable discount."

Hi All: I had a 1975 650B that I really regret selling in 1981 - but that's another story. My questions as I consider getting back into 650s are these:

- what year did Yamaha introduce electronic ignition?

- is there a good aftermarket electronic ignition for earlier bikes or can later Yamaha parts be installed on points bikes?

- did they ever fix the alternator brush problem and if so - what year? (it happened twice to me)

- is the frame on a "Special" (cruiser) model the same as that on a standard model?

- is there one year in particular to avoid?

Many thanks!

1980 in North America models got electronic iggy

You can buy pamco electronic, boyer, etc. There is a few. Or retrofit an 80 up system. But they are getting older and boxes can fail.

Special frames have more shock angle for the cruiser look

74 up to 83 most stuff will interchange. Engines are the same. Linked carb sets came in 76? Or 77? Specials ha e smaller tanks etc. Forks were smaller diameter on the earlier standards. 34mm. Later was 35mm.

Go to the tech menu. Should be some good info. Lots of year to year carb jetting changes. Different wheels on special models. Etc. Forget the earlier models unless you plan to spend or its complete to restore. Frames....swinger, wheels, sheet metal engine internals all different. 72 had a one year only brake setup.

One thing I've noticed in reading many posts is that some of these machines are smoother than others. I've read 2 different road tests on the 76 model, and they both comment on low vibration. My 76 appears to be consistent with this. No mirror blurring and very little vibration except at idle and high revs. I could ride all day without any fatigue from vibes.
It appears that certain years may have had their engines balanced more carefully than others. It is easy to change to a solid state regulator, or pointless ignition, but fixing a shaker is not so easy.
I'm not certain what years Yamaha loosened up the careful balancing campaign, but I think this may be worth some consideration...

Back