Battery dead after a few days to a week of idle time.

Slimbob

XS650 Member
Reaction score
All,
Mostly Stock 77 650-D

My bike has been running great since I put the Pamco Electtronic ignition on her. I checked the water in the battery at beginning of the riding season. About 2 months ago.

Last Thursday I was on my way to work and noticed the horn was very weak. And my reserve lighting warning light was on. But still able to switch between low and high beams.

I checked the the battery voltage and was down to 11.5 off, 12.5 idling, and 13+ >2K RPM. Water Level was down below the tops of the plates in several cells. Filled with bottled drinking water. No Distilled available. Kick started @ 5PM and drove home. Figured the 22 mi ride would charge the battery.

Didn't try to ride until Saturday night. Battery was bone dead.

Pulled battery and put on Smart trickle charger for 2 days. Put the battery back in and all was well on a 10 mi ride. One thing I noticed was there was a relay that would click when I re-attached the battery as I touched the - cable to the post. Think it was the Reserve Lighting module.

That was last night. Figured the RL module was probably bad and the battery would be dead in the morning. NO!

Rode to work this morning and bike was running good. All is good.

Do these RL relay modules go intermittent? There should not be any voltage feeding the RL module with the key off. Is it possible for this module to drain the battery? Can't think of anything else that might have caused this. Ignition switch maybe not breaking the connection fully?

Any ideas? Don't want to get left on the side of the road. I should probably replace the RL module at least, since the waring light is on most of the time. Are Mike's replacement modules ok or should I source elsewhere?

Any other ideas what could be cooking the battery and then not charge it and drain it in 2 days?

Thanks in advance,
Slimbob

Next:
Bike ran ok for several days. No issues. After leaving sit for a week, the battery is dead again.

Heard the relay pull again when I attached the second battery cable (key was off). Ordering a new Reserve Ligting module today.

Can I disconnect the reserve lighting module without affecting the operation of the bike? Something is draining the battery when it is sitting.

Don't know why power would be getting to the module when the key is off. Will pick up a digital meter and connect to monitor voltage at high speed.

Thanks,
Slimbob

Read more: http://xs650forum.proboards.com/ind...d=Electrical&thread=3088&page=1#ixzz2528Y7wke

What brand is your flooded cell battery? Many of the less expensive acid bombs out there are made cheap and fast. They don't have optimum capacity to begin with. If you are not running well above 13 volts (closer to 14) you do not have enough charging capacity to support normal operation and a cheap battery. It done good for several days after a trickle charge because the trickle charger actually brought your battery all the way up, and probably desulfated it a bit as well. When you go out to the bike in the morning, you should be somewhere north of 12 volts on the battery if the bike is charging correctly.
JMHO, I'd get rid of the flooded cell battery as soon as possible. Just a matter of time before it belches acid all over your bike if you are having charging issues.

Most bottled drinking water has minerals in it , some have very high mineral content. I think your battery is toast. Your original problem was probably from low water in the cells .

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds likely the low water was the issue.

Still concerned about the relay pulling sound when I connected the battery this morning.

What battery would you suggest? It has already spattered on the tops of my side covers. Would like to get rid of the wet cell battery.

Thanks,
Slimbob

Spend the money on a lithium-ion battery. They cost more but last twice as long, are way smaller and weigh less than half a lead/ acid . Won't leak either, holds a charge longer ....what else can I say ? Environmentally friendly , not tested on bunnies, they smell nice.......

I have had AGM Batteries last 7 years. Lithium-ions haven't even been available for bikes that long. Lasting twice as long as a wet cell battery is no great feat. The weight is a big deal, but I'm not sold on durability yet. The only one that has ever been approved for use in an aircraft was pulled from the market less than 6 months after being approved, because it ran away, and nearly burned a 17 million dollar aircraft to the ground. We couldn't even get anyone to carry it back to the manufacturer for 4 weeks, because they could not determine it's hazmat category. I'll stay on the sidelines of the itty bitty batteries until a full-line manufacturer thinks they are better than AGM or Gel and starts putting them in everything they make. Then you will know, all the testing is over, and it is a reliable product for the general marketplace. Just one guy flapping his lips, of course, your mileage may vary.

True, there are other batteries on the market that are way better than lead acid. I didn't know about any fire hazard with the li-on s . Everything I read and two people that I talk to that already have them say they are good. New technology , you are right, takes time to prove.

Back