bike ran for 2 hours, now nothing, 1980xs

salt lake jeff

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
after sitting for 2 years (at least), while chopping, i put the pamco in and wired her up, she started on the first kick...it was amazing...noticed the left exhaust running cooler, which i'm learning is normal for this year...could easily hear the difference in pipes when i was riding, with more gas it seemed like the powerband would kick in and the left and right would sound more similar...died one day at a stop light, then would only work off the right cylinder and full throttle was 25mph...mechanic told me something was wrong with my pamco magnet...pamco pete said my advance rod was probably binding, which it was...that is fixed now...but there is still nothing when we kick it over...the coil feels warm after we've kicked it a few times, eventhough it never turns over...is that ok?...what could be going on?

salt lake,

Try this procedure to test the PAMCO without having to turn the engine over. Also, check the fuse and fuse holder under the seat. They are notorious for failing even when they look OK.

1. Use a voltmeter and check for battery voltage on each of the red/white wires with the key and kill switch are turned on.
2. The dual output coil has to have both spark plug wires connected to a spark plug at all times.
3. To test for spark, connect one of the spark plug wires to a spark plug that is grounded to the engine.
To test for spark without having to turn the engine over, do this procedure:
1. Remove the PAMCO rotor.
2. Remove the locating pin in the advance rod.
3. Reinstall the rotor, but without the pin.
4. Replace the nut holding the rotor on loosely. This will allow you to spin the rotor to produce a spark without having to turn the engine over.
5. Connect one of the spark plug wires to a spark plug that is grounded to the engine, but not installed in the engine.
6. Make sure that the other spark plug wire is connected to a spark plug in the engine.
7. Turn on the ignition switch and the kill switch.
8. Spin the rotor while looking at the gap in the spark plug for a spark.
9. Turn off the kill switch and the ignition switch.

Back