Blue or black? (Repainting tins)

Its been a long time

Doesn't know nothing.
Reaction score
I have a recently acquired XS650D in bountiful blue colour scheme. The tank is quite badly faded and scratched on the decals and paint but otherwise sound, if rusty inside. It's going to have to de-rusted, sealed for E10 and repainted. I am not especially keen on the blue colour scheme. I like the XS650C black and gold better. The bike isn't going to be a show queen, but it'll be very tidy standard trim when I'm done. Question is - do I keep the tank and side panels blue or do I repaint in black/gold as per the XS650C?

I'm interested in what members think about keeping the original colour or changing. Thanks.

Post a couple of pictures of what it looks like now
When your talking about the black and gold color are you thinking the 75B

Attachments

• 75 yamaha CL.jpg
    75 yamaha CL.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 27
Post a couple of pictures of what it looks like now
When your talking about the black and gold color are you thinking the 75B
That's what I was thinking. I had a 1976 XS650C many years ago. If it makes a difference, I'm in the UK.

I don't think, but could be dead wrong, that bountiful blue was ever a UK colour scheme. The bike I have now is a USA import.

I'd paint it what you like
It's not a museum piece and your not looking to sell as an untouched survivor
I'm partial to the looks of the 75 although no one has come up with an exact or real close to it match
Yet

I'd paint it what you like
It's not a museum piece and your not looking to sell as an untouched survivor
I'm partial to the looks of the 75 although no one has come up with an exact or real close to it match
Fair comment. I was looking at a low mileage unmolested 75 in black and gold the either day. The metal flake black is amazing. I'm not sure it would be easy to reproduce it anyway. Metal flake was very mid 70's. Like flares and tank tops......

Fair comment. I was looking at a low mileage unmolested 75 in black and gold the either day. The metal flake black is amazing. I'm not sure it would be easy to reproduce it anyway. Metal flake was very mid 70's. Like flares and tank tops......
There's been several on here have gotten the look of star black recently.
@magoo66

And the decals are available. Didn't a shop in the UIK do this paint job sometime last summer? Issues with it that got resolved memory is fuzzy as a fifteen year old.
I intend using a local one man band paint shop for whatever I decide. As far as I can see, decals are available on eBay for most colours. Push comes to shove, I have a guy who can print some for me.

The bike isn't a show queen and I don't count rivets, a close enough blue or black is OK. I understand there's a near match for the blue in a VW colour.

Back