Blue or black? (Repainting tins)

Seen at the Paris Ontario bike show.
KIMG1304.JPG

1701788083348.png

@Jim hmmmmmmmmmmmm ;^)

I have a recently acquired XS650D in bountiful blue colour scheme. The tank is quite badly faded and scratched on the decals and paint but otherwise sound, if rusty inside. It's going to have to de-rusted, sealed for E10 and repainted. I am not especially keen on the blue colour scheme. I like the XS650C black and gold better. The bike isn't going to be a show queen, but it'll be very tidy standard trim when I'm done. Question is - do I keep the tank and side panels blue or do I repaint in black/gold as per the XS650C?

I'm interested in what members think about keeping the original colour or changing. Thanks.

The XS650C
1701789056917.png

XS650B
1701789129591.png

I think XS650B (1975) is what you mean. Those decals are available from Diablo Cycle and they’re good quality. What is your favorite color? Paint the bike and apply the decals. I think they’d look great over British Racing Green, dark red, dark blue or anything you like. I’m all in favor. It’s not like you’re painting graffiti on the Sistine Chapel.

Yes, the large decals can be a bitch to get right. There's a Youtube video that walks you through how to do it. Makes it a LOT easier.... and yet, it's still a bitch to do. I charge a fair bit extra for the large decals... enough to buy an extra set for redo's and to cover the cost of hair transplants. :cautious:

I'll link up the video if anyone wants...

My '75 was a repaint. The painter did an outstanding job matching the flake in the paint. Wish I could tell you more details on how he went about it, but I bought the tank on Ebay, but was able to have my side covers painted to match by the same painter.

1701796129638.jpeg
1701796138366.jpeg

I also had a ‘77, when I bought it, it had a non factory paint job, it was all white. I had it repainted in the black and gold theme.
990877CE-D60E-4972-9127-870F4A1873E9.jpeg

I also had a ‘72 that I had painted to look factory, then later after that original tank was damaged, I had it painted original factory color, but in the style of a ‘71, which I preferred.
IMG_3231.jpeg
IMG_6636.jpeg

It’s your bike, do whatever makes you happy! 😉
The black sidecovers and the red gas tank were painted by forum member @Jim , he does superb work!

You C model came in 3 colours
Star black, Brilliant red and Silver Frost, ( I think it is called, that information is on my laptop).

The 76C Star black uses the same decal as the US 75B.

There is a difference between the US and Euro decal on the side covers.

76c_fol1E1_4.jpg
Yamaha_XS650B_75__1.jpg
1_1z.jpg
76C__E.jpg

Euro 75B has a similar Decal but the gold doesn't extend over the top of the tank.
75B_ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450087567.322799.jpg
Yamaha-20XS650-2075-20-201_3.jpg

All Euro standards, 75-82, have the smaller front rotor twin dusk setup

Last edited:
Personally I like the Red, maybe because the Black is the common colour that is more prevelent

Black is nice, the US only got the black so they didn't see the Red
Thanks. I think all three of those are really terrific colour schemes. I have only ever seen the black in real life here in the UK. I could happily live with any of them.

Thanks. I think all three of those are really terrific colour schemes. I have only ever seen the black in real life here in the UK. I could happily live with any of them.

I'm just throwing it out there. The Euro/UK factory colours.

At the end of the day it's your choice to live with and honestly, painting a bike, or any vehicle, to what other people like is never going to b yours.

Seen some paint jobs that make me shudder but the owner has a smile from ear to ear. Whatever makes you smile, that is what your after.

I'm just throwing it out there. At the end of the day it's your choice to live with and honestly, painting a bike, or any vehicle, to what other people like is never going to b yours.

Seen some paint jobs that make me shudder but the owner has a smile from ear to ear. Whatever makes you smile, that is what your after.
Quite agree, but it's interesting to hear other people's ideas and I have certainly learned something from this thread. Thanks.

Back