Boeing 737 MAX

Let's look at two scenarios:
1. Boeing writes procedures to overide the runaway trim. They "coach" the FAA pilot on how to follow those procedures.
2. Boeing writes procedures to overide the runaway trim. They fold their arms and tell the FAA pilot. "Effin' figure it out yourself."
Personally, I like option 1.
Sorry to be a nay-sayer here.
If they are training you coaching you is fine, kinda their job.
If they are certificating you there should be no "coaching" you. Certification means you are supposed to know what you are doing.
When I took my first drivers test I flunked. Didn't parallel park correctly (who can). Wasn't the guy's who was giving me the tests job to coach me.
I still avoid parallel parking like the plague (or COVID).

If they are certificating you there should be no "coaching" you. Certification means you are supposed to know what you are doing.
When I took my first drivers test I flunked. Didn't parallel park correctly (who can). Wasn't the guy's who was giving me the tests job to coach me.
Well, you'd have to read the report to get the full story... there's more to it. What I didn't include was the fact that one of the FAA pilots was swapped out at the last minute due to the first becoming unavailable (no explanation why). I understand Boeing wanting to coach a pilot who was just assigned the task.
... and don't get me wrong, if you read the report, it's pretty damning to both Boeing and the FAA... and rightly so in my opinion. It's just that in this one point, I disagree with it.

Let's look at two scenarios:
1. Boeing writes procedures to overide the runaway trim. They "coach" the FAA pilot on how to follow those procedures.
2. Boeing writes procedures to overide the runaway trim. They fold their arms and tell the FAA pilot. "Effin' figure it out yourself."
Personally, I like option 1.

Can be acceptable and necessary.
The problem is that with the Boeing representative there A Biggles / Chuck Yeager competent
flyer
He is not present next time an Ethiopian pilot shall try to use the product.
That Ethiopian pilot has to in worst case sit there under time constraints "Effin' figure it out himself ."
And with 250 innocent .. other persons ..not knowing of the head scratching going on up in front
That procedure can be a bit to difficult for say 15 % of Pilots in the world and then dangerous.
I am not saying it is .after the Coaching ,and a written instruction and training
The 15 % is gone and all persons can fly it.

I that sense the "Effin' figure it out himself ." is a quality test .If FAA cannot figure it out
on the available documentation why not Throw them out with a strong kick on the behind.
Throwing the papers. After
Some authorities here in electrical installations or pressure vessels perhaps construction would do that
with the
Statement ..Write a better instruction if you want an approval ...Especially after been called a dog Watching TV.

As in " No more Mr Nice Guy "

I am not qualified when it comes to flying .But I have heard of planes difficult to fly.
Some Russian fighter plane in WW2

Well, you'd have to read the report to get the full story... there's more to it. What I didn't include was the fact that one of the FAA pilots was swapped out at the last minute due to the first becoming unavailable (no explanation why). I understand Boeing wanting to coach a pilot who was just assigned the task.
... and don't get me wrong, if you read the report, it's pretty damning to both Boeing and the FAA... and rightly so in my opinion. It's just that in this one point, I disagree with it.

Sorry I shouldn't comment on things I don't fully understand.

Sorry I shouldn't comment on things I don't fully understand.
Why should you be any different that some of the others here. :sneaky:
Here's the report... all 102 pages. Enjoy. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• CST FAA Aviation Safety Oversight Report.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 160
I went to an accountant once. She saved me 150 bucks more in taxes than what I calculated... then charged me 200 bucks for her troubles. :cautious:
If you are working for a paycheck they normally don't do you a lot of good.
When self employed they can do a lot of good.

I'd have to wonder why the Senate would find this inappropriate if an explanation of why it is not inappropriate is so simple, but not on Christmas Eve :)

Yes, but you failed the test, not the car.

The scenario you're proposing would be the equivalent of pulling all the kind of car you took your driver's test in off the road because you hadn't practiced parallel parking enough.

Yes, but you failed the test, not the car.

The scenario you're proposing would be the equivalent of pulling all the kind of car you took your driver's test in off the road because you hadn't practiced parallel parking enough.
Good point.
I was looking at it from a pilot certification aspect. Not certificating the plane.

Unfortunately, I think we'll see more of this sort of stuff... at least in the short term. Airplanes are like bikes and cars... or any sort of machine really, they're built to be used. They don't like to just sit... and these are just shy of 2 yrs storage.
There’s nothing worse than a hangar queen.

Unfortunately, I think we'll see more of this sort of stuff... at least in the short term. Airplanes are like bikes and cars... or any sort of machine really, they're built to be used. They don't like to just sit... and these are just shy of 2 yrs storage.

Like a toddler tantrum...

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/airplanes-hibernation-wake-up/index.html

Interestingly, I suppose the older tech stuff is less prone to having a hissy fit if things aren't 100%.
Well, we know that here anyway.

Back