Bought a 1978 with spaghetti mess wiring.Help me get this ol beast back on the road?

oldskoolxs

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I just bought this 1978 XS650.It looks like the guy had electrical troubles and got in too deep and gave up. The harness looks pretty factory. The wires are everywhere though.Especially headlight area. I see all the schematic posts you all have provided, thank you. After trying to identify all the components, it looks like there is no fusebox or rectafier. Do you see a regulator? What else is missing? I just want to get some spark, hear it run and go from there.The good part is, he gave me a clean title with it.I really like this bike and hope I can get it going cheap. The tires look nice as well as the frame, engine and all usual components.It has been hardtailed and lowered with some weird non-moving shocks.Any advice or tips on re-wiring and finding correct parts would be appreciated.

Depending on the time it was built. Early 78 engine # 2FO-000101- 2FO-006501, had just a single fuse. Later had the 4 fuse box.
If it has the single fuse it will be in a holder on the right side of the battery box.
The rectifier, note spelling is mounted on the bottom of the battery box.
The regulator is mounted on the left side of the battery box.
I'll post some pics.
Ok to get spark, check at the points, follow the wires from the points up toward the coils. These wires and wires from the coils as well as wires from the condensers all plug together, Be sure the wire from the upper/right points plugs into the right coil, The wire from the lower/left points to the left coil.
The condensers are mounted between the two halves of the top engine mount.
On the coils one wire goes to the points, another wire plugs into a red/white wire of the harness.
Unplug these wire from the red/white wire. Build a set of jumper wires that you can hook to these wires. Hook them through a switch to the positive of a fully charged battery. Hook the negative of the battery to a good frame ground. For this test one of the top engine mount bolts will work fine.
Pull the plugs Hook them back in the plug wires. Hold them against the block. Another thing you can do is build a plug holder. Get some solid copper wire, like house wiring. A couple feet is plenty. Scraps from a building site works well. Strip out the bare ground wire. Wrap one end around one plug so the plug can screw in/out of the wire, do the same on the other end. Slide this wire along the top of the engine so it stick out both sides. Put one plug in each end. AS the bare wire touches the engine it provides ground for the plugs. Now turn the switch on, kick the engine over with the kick start and watch the plugs. If the points and such are in good shape you should get a nice blue spark on the plugs, if not look at the points. They may be dirty.
Points are cheap so you might as well replace them. Your repair manual tells how to gap and time the points.
If you get good spark. Turn off the switch. Don't want to burn those new points.
Pour about a tablespoon or two of fresh gas in each plug hole. Install plugs in engine, Turn on the switch and kick the engine over. It should fire up and run a bit, till the gas you poured in burns up.
If it runs a bit then putting the tank on, watch the jumper wires to the coil. Hook up fuel lines, Put fuel in tank, turn on petcock, wait a few minutes watching for fuel leak at petcock and carbs. If no leak try starting.
If things leak fix them before you try to start.
I might use the carb guide at www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf to tear down, clean, inspect reassemble and adjust the carbs. DON"T buy carb kits, they usually come with a bunch of parts you can't use Float bowl gaskets are often all they need along with a good cleaning.
The inspection will tell you what else you need. Then buy just what you need.
Me I would strip out that wiring and start from scratch. Reuse most of that wire, just delete a lot you don't need. I'll post the diagram I like. It has the basic points set up, with the separate regulator and rectifier like yours and in boxes it has the later TCI and combo reg/rec. You can just swap around the boxes to match what you have.
The E-start is in the upper right corner.
On those tires they may look ok but how old are they? To tell how old a tire is, find the DOT number on the tire, the last numbers are in an oval. These numbers are the date of manufacture. The first two are the week of the year, the last two are the year.
Like a 2407 means the 24th week of 2007.
If there are only three numbers in the oval, they are very old tires. The first two are the week the last one is the year. As in 199X some thing. They started the four numbers in 2000.
Tire manufacturers recommend not to run tires over 6 years old. Tires age, they get hard, the plies start to come apart, the tread loosens and can come off.
All things not fun.
In the pics the regulator is the steel box thing with a green tube along the edge, the rectifier is the square thing.
Leo

Attachments

• 70-79 reg and rec 001 (640x480).jpg
    70-79 reg and rec 001 (640x480).jpg
    233 KB · Views: 149
  • 314w9s3.jpg
    314w9s3.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 155
Put an add in the Classifieds for a set of standard shocks or have a look and you will find some for sale, (thought i saw some the other day in a bunch of stuff For Sale).

Second pic; The wires on the bottom left where there are Red, brown and black wires bunched together are the wires that should go into a fuse box, 4 fuse fuse box. The op has removed the fuses and coupled the wires back together. Nice fire hazard

Thank you for replying XSLeo and 650Skull. You are both greatly appreciated. I would have answered earlier. I work many hours and just got home.The beauty of that is, I will have a few bucks for needed parts! I will check the points, follow wires to correct coils. ( Upper is right coil).

I'm not sure even after reading where exactly every wire goes, but I get the idea. The power comes into the coils with the red/white wire. I don't know the exact order of where condensers come in to play but I'm sure after looking at the diagrams I will find out.I understand this setup will bypass the regulator/ rectifier/stator/rotor, is not a working system, and must be turned off when not running to save points from burning. If this baby fires I will be jumping for joy. :bike: A bare bones diagram would be awesome.Then,If she's not a knocker and everything is ok... I'll wire in the other components as I go and make it a charging system.

Thanks for the info on the fuses and dating tires also. All knowledge on this and all bikes is solid gold to me.From inspection sticker, this bike has been sitting since 2006.

Hi oldskool and welcome,
what they said.
You can get 3-way & 4-way mini-spade fuse boxes from scallywag in our classified section.
If your '83 still has glass tube fuses you could swap them out too.
The '83 will also make a partial wiring guide. There are differences due to TCI vs points ignition but so long as the '83's electrics ain't been messed with the wiring colors and wiring connectors will be similar enough to give a sense of how the wiring works.

This may help you with the coil Points Condenser set up.

Attachments

• 78_XS650SE Coils-Points copy.jpg
    78_XS650SE Coils-Points copy.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 159
Hey , She's running! Can ya believe it? haha Thank you. And it sounds like it has no issues with the internals.So far so good. With air filters and some fine tuning This baby will run great.It has 11000 on the clock. I'm so damn happy right now. Thanks again guys.I could not have got it running by myself.

Hi oldskoolxs,
congratutations! Another one saved! And a video, too.
But Gawd man, you gotta wear a belt with those lo-rise jeans, eh?
There's list members kids that view this site.

Congrats, I see you not a novice to old bikes.

Personally i like the 78/79 Specials, haven't gone all 80's plastic and some of the visual aspects appeal.

Haha Fred. I'm wearing long johns anyway, there is no plummer crack in sight.. I did notice that my jeans are saggy.I was hoping people would focus on the bike. lol It's not an ethnic fashion statement or anything like that. Heyba Manba!!lol

I'm not a novice but far from being able to do it for a living.That would be a dream come true.It's cold here most the time,and probably why ya can still find an old fixer upper with low miles now and then cheap.Our riding season is pretty short.

Haha Fred. I'm wearing long johns anyway, there is no plummer crack in sight.. I did notice that my jeans are saggy.I was hoping people would focus on the bike. lol It's not an ethnic fashion statement or anything like that. Heyba Manba!!lol

Hi oldskoolxs,
luckily, your videos are over-bright to show those details so one can't see if you are displaying your sternward décolletage or your longjohns.
But yes! She runs! Note that those open drains don't give any back pressure and unless an XS650 engine is cammed, high-compressed and otherwise tuned for racing it needs back pressure to run nice.

I have read they need an air box or some kind of air filter to mix air/fuel right. It makes sense.Plus keep the road dust out of the engine is as important.I couldn't believe it is running even as good as it is with those straight pipes and nothing but a battery feeding coils. I like the look of pods but would go back to box if it runs better that way.It didn't come with the airbox but he did add another set of carbs, stock pipes and a big king queen seat and sissybar. My next move is to get the thing wired for lights and charging and address the front brake. My reservoir leaked dry and ate the paint off the hand lever which is broke in half.I used the battery from my 83 XS650. I'll need another.Thanks everyone for the help. I'm sure I'll be checking in to see who has parts I'll need.

I have read they need an air box or some kind of air filter to mix air/fuel right. It makes sense.Plus keep the road dust out of the engine is as important.I couldn't believe it is running even as good as it is with those straight pipes and nothing but a battery feeding coils. I like the look of pods but would go back to box if it runs better that way.It didn't come with the airbox but he did add another set of carbs, stock pipes and a big king queen seat and sissybar. My next move is to get the thing wired for lights and charging and address the front brake. My reservoir leaked dry and ate the paint off the hand lever which is broke in half.I used the battery from my 83 XS650. I'll need another.Thanks everyone for the help. I'm sure I'll be checking in to see who has parts I'll need.

Hi oldskoolxs,
if I had to go buy a stock airbox I wouldn't. I'd advise fitting Unipods instead.
NOT those pleated tapered pods, there's a strong consensus that they eff up the airflow and that good quality cylindrical foam pods like Unipods don't.
http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermark...universal/uni-pod-universal-motorcycle-filter
It'll run smoother on the stock exhaust system. If it's too quiet for you with stock mufflers you can do the old "pound a pointy bar up it" trick and still keep a modest amount of backpressure but like I told my son when we did ours, "There's no backsies on this."
After you get the electrics sorted I'd advise fitting an aftermarket front brake lever that has a smaller than stock piston. MikesXS sells them for one.
Check the list search button to see what sizes others have used.
The stock front m/c is too effin' big to work nice on just the one caliper.
Although it's just about perfect if you add the second caliper like I did.
You could also think about upgrading to stainless brake hoses.
And just my personal opinion, lose those gawdawful pullback bars.
I dunno HTF anyone who isn't 7' tall with wrists that turn at 90º to most folks can find them comfortable.

Good work getting it running, it certainly is loud! :)

BTW: I've got a '79 Special II that I've modified, and have the stock rear shocks that you're missing if you want/need them. PM me if interested.

Thanks for the tips and advice on the air cleaners and such. I just got my other bike on the road today.1983 xs650. When I get time I will go back to figure out all the wiring and get the lights and horn ready for inspection on this new bike,fix the front brake and maybe get some ride time on that this summer.I have short track race bars on my 83. I find them to be not as comfortable as the big bars the 78 has.The tank is long and I gotta lean forward the whole time like a crotch rocket. I have a cool old Triumph tank, maybe I'll see how that looks on the ol 78.I like the look of non factory bikes.As far as those rear shocks Brassneck, thank you. I think I'll run these hard ones for a while and see what I think.I like the look of them.From just going around the block, I felt very comfortable the way it is.I'm more than likely going to just get it inspectable and sand and paint the tank and sand/paint frame rust.Down the road I may want to change it up.I need to keep it as low dough as possible.Have a great day people.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=64483&stc=1&d=1465836488

I been at this all morning. I'm trying to get the horn, left and right turn signals and
high/low switch wired up.I got this info from the site

Pink...horn out
black ground
green headlight low
yellow ..headlight high
dark green right turn signal
brown left turn signal

Where does 12 volts come in to switches?

Also...After 12 volting and multimetering my ass off. I have no
idea what to do next with the six connector wires. I'll list colors. If you can,please tell me what can be ignored and what needs 12 volts and which need to go somewhere.

left to right top looking in connector...
y/black..blue/green..blue/yellow

bottom row
pink...brown/white.... yellow/red

I grounded the front turn signal lights, ran 12 volts to solid brown on flasher. It lit up the light, but no flash, so I added the back light thinking that may be why,not enough resistance... ..Just stays on steady.What do the 3 wires on flasher go colorwize and location wize..Maybe it's faulty.

With multimeter I got some info, but not enough to make my next move. I don't want to burn anything up. I'm a real cave tard. I can't follow all the lines and read all the info on diagrams.Too small, tight and confusing.I guess part of it is I'm re routing things to do away with the safety stuff and it makes things harder. Shitloads of wires go into boxes,, do things unexplained and come out as another color(sometimes). Uggg! lol I was hoping to finish it up today and hit the DMV and ride.I'll go back to it. Maybe someone will reply later and by then I'll have an answer. I was considering a simpler set of switches with 2 wires for each reaction desired! lolhttp://www.xs650.com/forum/images/smilies/wtf.gif

Attachments

• DSC02720.jpg
    DSC02720.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
I just found...blue/yellow has continuity with yellow!!! yes! One down..
Power that headlight up! (After grounding)

Last edited:
Back