Bought a XS650 Semi sight unseen

CaNaDiAnNuTcAsE

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I just bought a XS650 special. I last seen the bike in 2016 from 20 feet away. The bike was semi clean and drove to where it was parked. Right now the bike is about 400km from me, so I sent a money transfer and bought it. I do that kind of dumb shit all the time so I'm not to worried about getting it running. What I am worried about is knowing nothing about this bike and possibly riding it back. If I ride it back I need it to at least last 2000km without kacking out on me. (Drive home then around city for 2 months and back when I move)

So I've come to the experts on these to ask what I should be looking out for on it and mileage its known to need rebuilds at. This is my 84th bike and Ive only bought 3 runners so I'm not new to this kind of stupidity. Basically need to know how crap is the TCI ignition known to be, if crap can i just wire in a DC CDI to the pickup. How long do piston ring sets last and how good is the valve train and cam. I dont care if its blowing smoke as long as it wont leave me stranded.

I know nothing about the TCI. In my experience the engines are virtually bullet proof if they have been reasonably maintained.

Searching a way to get my bike to a rally 12 hours away, I found UHaul rents MotorCycle trailers (front wheel chock and proper tie down anchor points) $15/day US. I am not a real mathematicion in converting US dollars and Canadian dollars or kilometers to miles but I think a 1 day tow beats the hell out of an uncertain ordeal. Cheers

Welcome in!
There COULD be so many issues on a 40 year old bike with unknown maintenance. Tires, chain, brakes, wheel bearings, carb issues.
For iggy check out the threads on the Gonzo TCI replacement. personally I'd be more worried about the voltage regulator than the TCI.
There was a saga thread a couple years back where a guy bought and rode a 75 XS across a bunch of Canada. Several times he stopped and rebuilt the bike at campgrounds etc. Braver than me. And I have a pretty long list of "brave" sagas.

Searching a way to get my bike to a rally 12 hours away, I found UHaul rents MotorCycle trailers (front wheel chock and proper tie down anchor points) $15/day US. I am not a real mathematicion in converting US dollars and Canadian dollars or kilometers to miles but I think a 1 day tow beats the hell out of an uncertain ordeal. Cheers
I dont own a truck I'm a bike only kinda guy. I'm riding there on my CBR250R if the bike is good I was going to leave the CBR down there with family and use the XS650 as my daily till I move back there in couple months. I just sold 4 other hondas since when I move all my shits going into my dads truck to go home and I'll be on a bike. So if transfering the plate is going to happen it needs to drive 400km be my daily for 2 months and ride back. I'm getting a little tired of the little 250 The thing is dirt cheap on gas and insurance and low miles, but try riding 4 lane highways on a 250 with idiots everywhere. Everyday some idiot puts their foot to the firewall when I try to merge and the 250 just dont have the power to handle that shit.

How full of an update can you get from the PO? It seems with your knowledge of motorcycles you should pretty well be able to assess its condition and venture on from there. Two months of riding without some upkeep is a bit bold to consider, though.
'TT'

Do you know for sure it has the TCI ignition? Prior to 1980 they were points engines. A pretty reliable and dead simple iggy to fix.... even on the side of the road.

I just bought a XS650 special. I last seen the bike in 2016 from 20 feet away. The bike was semi clean and drove to where it was parked. Right now the bike is about 400km from me, so I sent a money transfer and bought it. I do that kind of dumb shit all the time so I'm not to worried about getting it running. What I am worried about is knowing nothing about this bike and possibly riding it back. If I ride it back I need it to at least last 2000km without kacking out on me. (Drive home then around city for 2 months and back when I move)

So I've come to the experts on these to ask what I should be looking out for on it and mileage its known to need rebuilds at. This is my 84th bike and Ive only bought 3 runners so I'm not new to this kind of stupidity. Basically need to know how crap is the TCI ignition known to be, if crap can i just wire in a DC CDI to the pickup. How long do piston ring sets last and how good is the valve train and cam. I dont care if its blowing smoke as long as it wont leave me stranded.

TCI ignitions and they are usually pretty good when they work. The problem these days is their age and that can cause the solder to crack and cause some shorts in the unit. Worse case scenario, well a little bit less than it not working at all.

I wouldn't want to push it on a 2,000 klm trip without making sure the brakes and wire connections are up to it. Depending on the mileage and condition of the bike it could need some basic cleaning up before the trip. The condition of the fuse box could also be a tell. If it is in good nick, ok. The fuse holders are copper and they get weak and break. If they have got to that stage then other parts of the loom, (connectors, plastic or bullet), could have corrosion causing continuity problems.

Need to test the rotor to make sure it is charging properly. They do go out so it needs to be in top shape for a long trip.

My 83 Canadian Heritage Special.
XS 650 Kane Me jpeg copyright crop.jpg

Hey can someone please give me this measurement for width of subframe. I'm going to do a tracker tail section. I can build it fine once I get to the bike, but my 3d printer is staying at home and I need to print the tail light before I go to the bikes location. I have the rest of the dimensions already. Basically red dot to red dot

Attachments

• 20220426_162801.jpg
    20220426_162801.jpg
    646 KB · Views: 69
Hey can someone please give me this measurement for width of subframe. I'm going to do a tracker tail section. I can build it fine once I get to the bike, but my 3d printer is staying at home and I need to print the tail light before I go to the bikes location. I have the rest of the dimensions already. Basically red dot to red dot
It's just shy of 23 cm.

Well went there and signed it over. The bike is 1980 been sitting since 1992 when I was a year old. Motor spins and has 21k km on it seat and front tire are done. It's in ok shape though hell the gas in the tank still smells like gas some how. No tank rust. And it has been sitting the whole time the 1992 transfer papers show the same milage as the odometer.

I got my bike running and on the road, but have 2 serious problems. 1 the front brake keeps locking up. I replaced the master cylinder and pumped new fluid through if until only clear fluid came out of the bleeder. I insured the bike and drove it home slowly it will loosen up after a bit but if I pump the lever it stays on a while.
2 my rear brake pivot is completely seized. And I mean my full weight on it while hitting it with a hammer and not moving at all seized. I've soaked it in liquid wrench and wd40 and it's not moving at all.

I do have to say I'm impressed with the bike. The damn thing has sat outside for 30 years and after I put power to the ignition fuse the thing fired up and idled on 30 year old gas. That has never happened to me before.

2 my rear brake pivot is completely seized. And I mean my full weight on it while hitting it with a hammer and not moving at all seized. I've soaked it in liquid wrench and wd40 and it's not moving at all.
I'd heat it with a propane torch until it was smoking good and let it cool, maybe do it a few times. Then tap it lightly with a very heavy hammer. Next would get a line on a replacement just in case, and then get more aggressive with the very heavy hammer with it backed up close as possible to the hole. Machine shop could probably press it out in a couple of seconds though

I tried to ride it to the store around the corner and the front brake caused me to lay it down causing no damage but freeing the rear brake. Then I rebuilt the caliper on the front and I now have a perfectly functional bike.

I wonder if the saying it's not stupid if it works applys here. It was stupid, but it fixed a serious problem.

Back