Broken Front axle clamp stud

Scottyd

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hoping to find a solution on here to fix my problem.
While i was swapping out wheels one of the bolts that clamps the front axle snapped.:wtf:

Whats the easiest and safest way to fix it? Tap it?

Thanks in advance!:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 2012-09-08 13.08.57.jpg
    2012-09-08 13.08.57.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 535
Replacement studs are available from dealers and MikesXS. Get the broken stud good and hot with a hand-held disposable-bottle butane torch. This will soften any loctite that is holding the stud in. Then remove the broken stud with lock-grip pliers.

I did exactly the same thing. +1 on the torch to heat up around the area. Use a vice/lock grip to turn the stud out. Heat up the metal and touch a candle to the hot surface, the wax will melt and act as lubrication on the threads. I am actually not sure how useful this candle wax trick is. I saw it done on Youtube and it also worked for me on this exact same stud, so give it a try if needed...? I also picked up a replacement stud from the local hardware store instead of Mikes.

@Rogue21 Do you remember the size on the stud you used? I want to make sure i buy the right part so im confident in the replacement.

Thanks guys for the info!

I cant remember the exact size/threading. I brought the old stud in to the hardware store and matched up the length and threading. You could also bring in the nut for the stud and figure out the threading that way too. If you want an OEM part, check out this website
http://www.yamahapartshouse.com/hom..._(1980_MOTORCYCLE)/FRONT_FORK_(XS650G_-_1980)

The stud is part number 7. This is for a 1980 XS650. I am not sure if the part changes by year, so maybe check out your year and model bike. Unfortunately, I don't see a size on the website.

My bike is a 78, i doubt it would change to much in 2 years. I shot a email off to the parts guy to see if i can get a size.

Cheers on the help Rogue21!

Mine was broken and I just swapped it out for a bolt.. works wonders with 0 issues!

That's a good idea. I wonder why they designed it with a stud instead of a bolt in the first place? I would probably throw a little lock tight on the bolt if I went to that system, just in case.

They used a stud because threading a steel bolt in and out of an aluminum thread will tend to strip out the aluminum. Using a stud you are threading steel to steel.
For a place like the axle clamp you are loosening and tighten it quite often. The stud is thw way togo. In places like some of the engine cases or head bolts that get turned seldom or ever then the bolt is ok.
Look at your bike, things that get used a lot get studs, like valve adjustment covers. They get opened often so need the studs.
Leo

I think I have to replace mine due primarily to corrosion.

Do you drain the oil or disassemble the fork? Will the heat affect the seals etc. if I leave the fork intact?

Thanks

Cooperxs650

Shouldn't be an issue oil in. You don't need to go cherry red or anything. Heat the stud not the aluminum.

You guys must all be ex Harley mechanics, lol. This is only an 8mm stud and only gets tightened to about 14 ft/lbs. Tighten the piss out of it and, well, you see what happens. There's also a specific way to install the clamp and a specific way to tighten the two stud nuts .....

AxleClamp.jpg

Back