Bruss bushings

tzimmerm

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, so I would like to attempt to do the swing arm brass bushing replacement on my bike. I have read the entire thread on the brass bushings, and didnt find a definitive answer to my question- When ordering the bushings (from mikes) what other parts/tools should I make sure to buy/have to ensure I can finish the job once I tear it apart? For example- seals, washers, etc. I am working in a driveway under a shelter; I can’t take it apart and leave it sitting around. I have a buddy who has a garage, but if I can do it myself I would rather. Also, what kind of grease should I use when reinstalling it to lube the swing arm?

All thread, nuts and washers to press in the new bushings. Decide if you are going to do the 5twins zerk mod, parts for that. You might want to loosen the nut and see if your pivot shaft will move, come out without heroics needed. Check the fit of your bronze bushings on the pivot shaft before you destroy the old ones removing them, there are a fair number of ill fitting bronze bushings around. Compare the flange thickness also. Great time to clean an area you can seldom get at. Decide if you are OK with that reduced neck stock pivot shaft or want to go bigger. The LH cap seal is almost always beat up from the chain. I like a heavy moly grease for this kind of bearing.

Godmonkey. Changing to brass bushings makes a big difference to the bike's handling. My vote is yes it's worth the money and effort.

Tzimmerm - you won't know what the internal parts are like until you take the swing arm apart. Replacing the grease fitting, seals and bushing is a no brainer but you may also need to replace the bolt tube and shaft. Ordering the tube and shaft and returning them if you don't need them is an option. Other options are to use the needle bearing kit Mikes offers for the same cost as replacing the bushings, seals, tube and shaft or the needle bearing kit from Allballs for $54. I have no idea what the bearing kits are like so hopefully others will weigh in.

https://www.allballsracing.com/swing-arm-and-linkage/28-1181.html

I used one needle bearing kit from Mike's XS. It's history, and I don't recommend them. I don't know what Mike's XS is selling now, but the needle bearing kits they used to sell used needle thrust bearings as well as needle radial bearings . Instructions in the kit specified max torque of 25 ftlbs on the swingarm axle, and more than that will crush the thrust bearings. That little pressure will cause increased frame flex. The All Balls system uses a Teflon thrust plate, which is a better idea.

I've read the bearings don't last because the weight is always in the same place more or less, not like with an assembly that spins. I would recommend the normal bronze bushings and working things so it's a drop in fit or close to it. You can bevel the inside lip of the swingarm tube, mainly to clean up that edge for easier insertion

What you'll need is :
bushings
seals for ends of bushings
tool to remove old bushings -- torch, or jigsaw, or hammer a nail between it ans tube to crack it
umm....grease
umm... improved swing arm bolt without weenie thread end
might be able to reuse old grease fittings but probably worn out
umm...probably various sundry items I forgot

Last edited:
Ok, so I would like to attempt to do the swing arm brass bushing replacement on my bike. I have read the entire thread on the brass bushings, and didnt find a definitive answer to my question- When ordering the bushings (from mikes) what other parts/tools should I make sure to buy/have to ensure I can finish the job once I tear it apart? For example- seals, washers, etc. I am working in a driveway under a shelter; I can’t take it apart and leave it sitting around. I have a buddy who has a garage, but if I can do it myself I would rather. Also, what kind of grease should I use when reinstalling it to lube the swing arm?

Hi tzimmerm,
in theory that's a one day job. In practice, something will go sideways on you to delay things.
You may (for instance) need to go rent an adjustable hand reamer to bring the bushings into alignment.
And does your sheltered driveway have a workbench and a vise in it?
Best of luck with the project but I don't see it happening without a better place to work in.

I've done several bronze bushing installations in XS650 swingarms, and I've never needed a press or reamer to get it done. Pop old bushings out with a blind hole puller, add swingarm pivot width to total thickness of the bushings flanges, and make sure that the total is a few thousandths less than the length of the tube ("inner bushing" in Yamaha parts terminology). If not, file the ends of the swingarm pivot--not the bushings.

Freeze the bushings overnight, clean and lightly polish the bushing seats with abrasive paper. heat the seats with a heat gun or prlopane torch, and push the bushings in. You may need to give them a few taps with a hammer and block of wood, but that's all the force that should be needed; there's no need to go Neolithic on them.

Back