Buying

Jeremy

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Long time reader, first time poster. I've read a lot of stuff but haven't quite figured out the most important thing I think I should know. When buying an XS650, what are the main things I should look for/check out/ask about. Its going to be my first project/bike so I can't afford to get into a money pit, or something that's going to need a complete electrical or engine overhaul right away, although I wouldn't mind doing it down the road. Much thanks guys.
:bike:

Straight up? An honest seller. Good luck with that one.
It is a thing to watch for though. Ask questions and listen to answers ask a similar question again. Is he telling you something that the bike says is a lie? I've had a lot of sellers do that. Walk away because he has more lies you won't find out about till later. Bring a friend, the more they know the better but a warm body is better than being by yourself. Tell him ahead of time your job is to keep your eyes and ears open and look for problems, even better if he writes stuff down. Then before any dealing starts go talk it over with him. Take pictures of the bike. If it isn't a runner about all you can do is see if it seems like both jugs have compression. See how bad the oil leaks are. Look for straight forks. put it on the center stand and spin the wheels. look for out of round or dents. See if the brakes are smooth, Does the front have a firm lever and hold it? While it's on the stand check for swing arm and steering bearing slop. Look in the gas tank for rust. If it's running aim the headlight at a wall or something see if it gets brighter when you rev the engine. Look under the seat for how bad the owner bodged the fuse box. See how bad the rust is from not having the battery vent tube hooked up. This will tell you something about his maintenance skills. A higher miles bike that has been used recently and often might be less grief than low mile bike that has been sitting not running for years. Are the tires dry rotted? Pretty normal but there goes $200. Chain, sprockets need replacing? (probably) Shop and make a list of common items that it might need. It will cost you less to find a bike that someone else has done a bunch of work to. I never do this but a $1,200 bike will probably cost you less than a $300 bike. Good luck!

Last edited:
My $300 runner(well, it was a runner before the previous owner took it apart) is now at $2000 and counting. Labor hours...I don't want to think about. These are old bikes with plenty of flaws from the factory.

Of course at least you can get parts for the xs. I'm rebuilding a late 80s sportbike now and I might as well be rebuilding a ferrari.

They are a bike to be passonate about. I bought mine for $500.00 andnow have $3,000invested with no accounting for labor. And I expect to spend more to get exactly as I want it. I can buy a lot of used motorcycle for $3,000.00. I'm sure most others have over spent as well. No complaints as I love these bikes.

- these grow on you the way ex wives dont

- check out the similar threads section at the bottom of this page, skull set up a thread to deal with this

- so long as it starts cold on the e-start, runs ok, changes gear, doesnt leak, pop, spit, fart or smoke, has decent tyres, chain and sprockets are ok youve got at least one big toe on dry land

- if you can, pull the side filter and take a look at what you find

- these are relatively bullet proof motors...we used to kill a motor every xmas party, usually outboards as we were a marine shop-merc's were the worst, just look at them and they roll over...one year a customer donated an XS motor-this thing just would not die, became a matter of honour...in the end one of the apprentices took it home and built a chopper around it, i believe its still running today

All good info given, read about the different models and know what is what, the 650 club of Australia buyers guide has an excellent description and pictorial on the different models. Take note the US bikes only came out with single disk brakes on the front and the Special 2's 79,80,81, have spoke wheels 19/16 front and rear. Take a copy of the frame and engine no's to be sure you are getting the model as advertised.

You may have to buy a battery as a lot of sellers use that as an excuse for selling...... "A good running bike, just needs a battery", "Just needs the carbs cleaned", "needs a new fuse" be cautious,

If the bike is clean and well maintained, (an honest seller will have some sort of record or receipts), and the owner seems to take pride in his bike it is usually a good sign. Even if the bike is a bit rough cosmetically and the seller has got the bike running it is a good sign.

A lot of XS have had parts swapped between models so what first appears to be.....say a 77 could really be a 74 frame 75 motor with a 77 tank. Go back to the link to the buyers guide and study.

Maybe the best thing would be to buy a bike from one of the members who are selling their bike in the classifieds here.

Check the chain and sprockets for wear, oil leaks, excessively noisy/rattly motor, (can be hard to tell if you don't know your XS's), Take a volt meter and check the voltage,should go up to around 14 volts at around 3500 revs, if not sus rotor, if it climbs to 15 and higher sus regulator and will blow the coils, look to see how clean the tank is, Check that all the switches and lights work, if the indicator lights come on and wont blink sus battery.

Last edited:
Back