Caliper and Master Cylinder Bore combination

jdizon

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm considering about picking up this KustomTech 2-piston caliper in this link and wondering if a 1/2" bore master cylinder would work ok with this?

http://cyrilhuzeblog.com/2011/12/29/super-freni-nostalgic-2-piston-brake-caliper/

superfrenicalipers1.jpg

Here's a pic of my MC. Brembo 1/2" bore, Originally from 1 04-06 Yamaha R1.

56e043c8ad2a11e381a212f39367fa5e_7.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Johann

Would need to know the diameter of the pistons to calculate area which would allow you to calculate stroke required telling you if the caliper would work with your master.

I believe it's a 34 or 38mm. I know the brembo 32,34,38 versions work good after some discussions with Ray at AAracing . I know some others like the 2 piston GMA's require a 5/8" bore.

Would need to know the diameter of the pistons to calculate area which would allow you to calculate stroke required telling you if the caliper would work with your master.

I am not sure what the ideal is for rear brakes since your foot is a good bit more powerful than your hands. With 34-38mm you are looking at about a 14-18:1 respectively. On the hand side that would be a ridiculously firm lever for a dual piston caliper. I am unsure how to calculate required piston travel for a specific clamp force or even a range for clamping force, but I would say you should be alright with that master.

Piston travel doesn't have anything to do with clamping force. The formula is f=a x p, a=f divided by p, p= f divided a. Where a=area,p=pressure,f=force. You need enough stroke to compensate for the slight movement of the caliper pistons and ballooning of the lines. So basically by increasing the piston area of the caliper you provide more force for stopping, but you may need the larger dia MC piston because of the movement of the second caliper piston but the increased MC dia will give you more force at the caliper.

Dear lord those are on the pricey side. Bro I just bought a rear brembo caliper from a Ducati ($40) and it looks a lot like that one you posted ($442). Shit you should look into getting a brembo and machining it to look like that kustomtech one.

GOOD for you man. Pat yourself on the back. I have 34mm 2 piston brembos that will work just fine but they don't look the part on the bike.

full

Dear lord those are on the pricey side. Bro I just bought a rear brembo caliper from a Ducati ($40) and it looks a lot like that one you posted ($442). Shit you should look into getting a brembo and machining it to look like that kustomtech one.

No no no, it doesn't go there it goes between the frame rails. Hey if you want to sell that brembo let me know.

Yeah was my first thought but not an option for my frame. Tabs stick out a little to much.
If the KustomTech don't work I'll probably use these but I'll let you know if I decide to get rid of them.

full

No no no, it doesn't go there it goes between the frame rails. Hey if you want to sell that brembo let me know.

Back