Caliper years?

An XS650 caliper from 76 up will fit. The same caliper from other model bikes from about the same years can also fit. I'm using calipers of an XS1100 standard, the Specials use a different set up.
There are many that fit. For a rough idea search Ebay for Yamaha front brake caliper. Look for ones that look like yours.
Leo

76C had 34mm forks and 2 pot calipers.

77D changed to 35mm forks and the calipers changed as well, and the same calipers from 77 -84 Standard and Specials are interchangeable on any 35mm XS650.

XS850 Standards had the same calipers as well

1st pic 76C....................2nd Pic 77D

Attachments

• XS-_Right_02-05-12_com.jpg
    XS-_Right_02-05-12_com.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 173
  • XS650-Oct07-001.jpg
    XS650-Oct07-001.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 190
What year front calipers will bolt onto the 1983 forks?
Thanks, Jeff

Hi Jeff,
like they said, any post '77 XS650 caliper will fit.
Here's what I found when I upgraded my XS650 to dual front brakes:-
Left side caliper from XS750/850/1100 Standards will let you go dual front brake.
XS650 brake disk swaps across, XS1100 Standard and Special disks fit, XS11 slotted disks let you avoid all the disk drilling.
XS750/850 disks are a smaller diameter so don't work.
Use the stock master cylinder, two calipers instead of one puts it's area ratio right in the sweet spot so no more wooden brake feel.
While you are at it, switch to stainless brake lines.

XSleo says 76 and on..............

I say 77 and on........

and your saying Post 77 and on Meaning 78 and on..................

Wounder if the OP is confused. I'll leaver it up to you other guys to set him straight.....................

XSleo says 76 and on..............
I say 77 and on........
and your saying Post 77 and on Meaning 78 and on..................
Wounder if the OP is confused. I'll leaver it up to you other guys to set him straight.....................

Hi Skull,
then there's the thought that lots of '77 models had '76 on their frame ID stickers.
To clear up any misunderstandings, if it's got 35mm diameter fork tubes and the single pot caliper those forks came with, that caliper will fit any 35mm fork XS650.

Well, let's confuse matters even more, shall we? As mentioned, calipers from some other model Yamahas will work. However, if the bike in question used the thinner 5mm disc, the pad shims, #5 below, may need changing .....

Anti-Squeal%20Shim2Modded.jpg

Now that I think about it, 77 up is right. In 76 they just moved them front to back. My apologies.
Leo

Back