Cam shaft trouble

Inevitable

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Alright...bad news on my build

Some how my Cam shaft cracked when I was placing in the bushings for my new PAMCO ignition. I'm not sure if the bushings where just the wrong size, or if the CAM was just that close to failure.

So I am asking for advice. I assume the only option is to open up the top of the motor and replace the cam shaft. Any recommendations on where I can find a replacement? The yamaha parts online say the part is "obsolete" is there another version of the Cam that I should use that won't empty my pocket book, or is this something that's going to empty my pocket book anyways?

Some how my Cam shaft cracked when I was placing in the bushings for my new PAMCO ignition. I'm not sure if the bushings where just the wrong size, or if the CAM was just that close to failure.

So I am asking for advice. I assume the only option is to open up the top of the motor and replace the cam shaft. Any recommendations on where I can find a replacement? The yamaha parts online say the part is "obsolete" is there another version of the Cam that I should use that won't empty my pocket book, or is this something that's going to empty my pocket book anyways?

The camshaft itself is a very robust device.................hard to believe that it cracked. Can you post a picture for all to view?

I had one, but for some reason the image got corrupted on my phone. Its the part that sticks out under the side covers when you are installing the PAMCO ignition. It was clean on the inside but had some rust on the outside of the rod. I pushed the bushing in...I admit I gave it a little tap...but nothing extremely hard...I looked down and there were two cracks spaced about 1/4" apart. As I pushed the bushing in...by hand the crack moved...I did not increase the size of the crack but I assume that that part has chipped off, and I can no longer pull the bushing out.

This is not my Camshaft but I've drawn a red circle around what cracked and 2 small red lines to show kinda the position of them

Attachments

• $(KGrHqZ,!h!FBj(Mkg)SBQd2FhervQ~~60_57.jpg
    $(KGrHqZ,!h!FBj(Mkg)SBQd2FhervQ~~60_57.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 100
Call me a skeptic, but I still find this to be quite bizarre. I'm sure others would also like to see an actual picture of this strange happening. That end of the camshaft is not stressed at all................its work load is only turning the ATU shaft/weights and the points cam, which are very low loads.

The only thing that comes to mind is that someone (PO maybe) had the camshaft out of the engine, and dropped it onto a hard surface.

Depending on what the damage looks like, it might still be useable, because of the low stress at that end.

We need a close up photo of the crack.

Ya I will do what I can to provide it, but i'm at work right now.

The concern I have with continuing to use it is A. I'm not sure how far that crack goes without opening her up anyways. and B. I'm suppose to fit 2 bushings in there...currently there is just the one. And what will happen if I continue to try and push bushings down there. Will the PAMCO still work?...i unno

That being said the bushing I did get down there is at a point now where I'm not sure if I could even get it out with out some serious leverage from the other side. So I have already emailed PAMCO and asked for their suggestions or at the very least some replacement bushings for a new camshaft if it does come to that point.

And trust me I was just as shocked as you were about this whole mess....mouth literally =0...for about 5 mins......

An actual pic of the cracks would be nice but just going by what you're saying, you may be able to use it as is. Retiredgent is right that there is no stress on that part of the cam. Besides, once you get the retaining nut for the advance unit tight it should hold everything in place just fine.
One bushing should work fine as long as the shaft spins freely. Thats all I can say without a pic. Hope this helps.

An actual pic of the cracks would be nice but just going by what you're saying, you may be able to use it as is. Retiredgent is right that there is no stress on that part of the cam. Besides, once you get the retaining nut for the advance unit tight it should hold everything in place just fine.
One bushing should work fine as long as the shaft spins freely. Thats all I can say without a pic. Hope this helps.

Two bushings are needed on the advance side to keep the locating pin for the advance plate from falling into the cam shaft hollow.

Hey pamcopete! I sent you an email earlier about this...So I assume I need to go ahead and bite the bullet open her up and replace the cam shaft...any way I can get a replacement bushing(s)? I checked mikes they only have the steel ones. I also doubt you have a camshaft with them already in just hanging out somewhere do you?

Back