Can't track down a 1979 stock wiring diagram

Nightmare

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have been searching the forums for hours trying to track down a simplified STOCK wiring diagram for my 1979 XS, all I find are ones for PAMCO setups and the like, I can't find one with separate regulators and rectifiers that are simplified.

If someone (who has a little more knowledge than me) could link me to the image, and yes, I have searched the thread with all the diagrams many times.

Thanks in advance!

When doing wiring it helps to break the wiring down into separate circuits, completely wire one circuit, test for operation, then wire the next.

MC wiring 101, there are TWO Must have circuits;
#1 is the ignition
#2 is charging
after that you wire in the accesories you have on your bike.
That 4th diagram skull points to is great because it has those areas each in a separate diagram, choose only the systems you are using, wire and vroom vroom off you go.

If you look for an early diagram. They don't get much more simple. The 70-71 were just kick start, the 72 - 73 have the e-start.
As mentioned I like #4 on the "Some Wiring Diagrams" thread. It has the basic points ignition with separate reg and rec. Then it has the upgrades, TCI and combo reg/rec.
In the upper right is the E-start.
As gggGary said think of the system in smaller sub systems. I don't agree with his order, I think the charging system is #1, then ignition. Without the charging system right the bike won't run as well or as long.
After you get the charging system and ignition up and running then adding the other things you want is easy, add a fuse run wire.
Leo

Back