Carbs

Tim L

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am using a pair of VM34 carbs at the moment on my 77D but I am thinking of going back to linked carbs.
What were the best carbs that Yamaha used on the XS650's? Looking for recommendations.

20210522_200533.jpg

78-79 BS38's , now realize I haven't owned BS34's.
(And never will) ;)

BS34; rubber tipped float needles an improvement. The needles need a bit of shimming cuz EPA locked them lean..
Otherwise yeah the 78-9 BS38 had several improvements over the old units, internal vent routing, and a spring to keep the needle from fluttering (and wearing) the biggest aides.
All CV carbs prefer the internal volume of an airbox compared to pods.

Yes, the '78-'79 BS38's are the best of the 38's, last set made and the most refined. That spring-loaded needle really smooths out the low speed operation. The only downside to them is slide/diaphragm assemblies are hard to come by, they differ from the earlier ones.

Now that I have a later BS34 equipped model and have had the chance to live with those carbs on a daily basis for a couple years, I'm finding I quite like them. As mentioned, the performance is just as good as the 38's even though they're a little smaller carb. I didn't find tuning them for my mods (pods and aftermarket exhaust) any more difficult than tuning the 38's. And also as mentioned, parts are easier to get and cheaper. In particular, manifolds and slide/diaphragm assemblies are cheap.

I didn't find it necessary to shim the BS34 needles like Gary does, probably because I had installed larger mains and pilots for my mods. The bleed-over from them into the midrange pretty much did the same thing as a shim, richened the midrange slightly. I also like the fact that they have an air jet for the pilot circuit you can change. You can use this to fine tune that circuit.

Tim L's avatar shows apparently his modified 77, It looks like those are pleated air filters with no airbox and short cone mufflers. Betting the mods are even more than seen.

The picture is my last XS. I sold it then regretted it so much that I built another. Same silencers, VM34 carbs, fram air filters, Heiden tuning electronic ignition. No other real changes, just +.5 rebore and full rebuild of engine. I need to change the avatar picture.

Back