CHARGING ISSUES Grrrrr

Yes, I consider an on-board voltmeter a must-have on these old girls.
I hear you. I have so much faith in @Jim’s rewind I just did a 500 mile Sunday ride from nowhere to still nowhere. Even after a Saturday rotor replacement on another bike, I didn’t even consider the possibility of a charging failure on mine.
:)

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr today buttoned up the bike.... fired it up.... idles fine.... rev the engine and as soon as the charging system comes on line... my volt meter (color readout) goes from green pass the yellow into the red... bike bangs and pops... I took it around the block... bang pop... bang pop.... ... then it smoothed out.. ran great... I noted the meter was in the green... then... it went into the overcharge red.. bang'n and pop'n... this repeated a few times.... I parked the bike... go'n on vacation... 2 weeks.... Hershey PA.. swap meet... Gettysburg.... :mad:

Sure seems there could be wiring connection issues still. My bike was popping and would quit, then would fire up again. Even though it visually looked fine, it was the spade connector block to reg/rec. Had to totally replace it as the internals of the plastic block connectors were worn and not properly seating the spade connections together. These old bikes really require that you remove, clean, and reinstall each terminal in the block. It's a time consuming mission, but helps to eliminate wiring connections as a variable when diagnosing charging issues.

Picked up the bike from my buddy..... he had it once already a few weeks ago and thought he had it fixed... got it home... same problem.....so I killed off a lot of brain cells try'n to figure out the issues.... my buddy owns a m/c shop... now a Royal Enfield dealer.. and is one of the few places that will work on older machines. He said being it back to his home garage... a week later... he pulled the connection between the harness and the ignitor... and others... cleaned them... even though they looked good.. and it did the truck... he put the old voltage regular back on the bike.... So thursday I'll take it for a short test ride.. and then decide if I want to do a frame down restoration .... 😎

Attachments

• Xs Special copy.jpg
    Xs Special copy.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 25
Back