Chopping an xs tank

walterpunk

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys just thought id show you what I've done to a 80 xs tank. Here's before pics an originally red tank rattlecanned black and loooots of bondo lol. Anyways I cut about 1-3/4 off the bottom. Then cut it in half and took out 1-1/4 from both sides... I think lol I don't remember. Then I cut out were the badge mounts were and made a little dish to fit inside. Just have to make the other side then a tunnel, bottom section, filler bung and petcock bung.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• CAM00003.jpg
    CAM00003.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 161
  • CAM00002.jpg
    CAM00002.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 154
  • CAM00040.jpg
    CAM00040.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 190
  • CAM00059.jpg
    CAM00059.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 234
  • CAM00058.jpg
    CAM00058.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 150
  • CAM00060.jpg
    CAM00060.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 203
Don't know if you can tell but the dishes I made are pretty beat up. What do you guys think would be a good way to clean them up? Bondo? I sanded a little but they're pretty deep gouges so I don't want the metal to get too thin. Also what do you think I should do about what's left of the old filler and the formed part for the xs cap? Another dish a fancy plate over top?? Lol

Posted via Mobile

I saw some old skoolers shapping imperfections on car panel with lead solder... then sand it to perfection.

watch this :

looks fresh and wholesome!!
looks great narrowed. Your tank was prettty clean inside.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I've heard of lead solder before. Never seen how its done though. Kinda cool. Thanks angus I'm pretty happy with it so far. Got the dishes welded in today and formed the tunnel. I'll be sanding the welds down , welding the sides together and putting the tunnel in tomorrow

Posted via Mobile

I think you could handle cutting that section out and weld a patch in walterpunk.
You've got the skills to do it man.If you get it close you can smooth it up with some body filler.

ya a patch crossed my mind..it would be a huge ass patch though....I do need to use filler as there was some pretty big dents in the tank that I beat out. Hmmm might have to go stare at it for a while again lol

Posted via Mobile

Got a bit more done after work today. Cleaned up a little around the dish on one side, tacked the sides together and got tired of welding so i set it on the tunnel I made lol.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• CAM00062.jpg
    CAM00062.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 192
  • CAM00070.jpg
    CAM00070.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 147
  • CAM00071.jpg
    CAM00071.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 184
NICE work Walter.. Lovin it!! Thats gonna be one sexy re-worked xs tank... Exactly the kinda thing I like, recycling yer cycle! hehe
Keep at it mate cant wait to see this thing sitting on the frame when your done..
.. Robbo ..

Back