Cleaning up handle bars!!!!

CaseySmithersxs

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Ive got a few questions about whete to get a decent key start, looked at the one on Monstercraftsman, it looks legit. But how does it work? Is it like a car ignition? Or do i still have to mount a start button? Mainly my question is wherr are tou guys putting your keys start, kill switch and healight on/off button. I see guys with nothing on the bars but throttle, looks sick, but how? Lol
Thanks in advance!

Easy on my HKII 250 I went with 1" bars used an internal throttle & mounted the key switch, start button & headlight button in the fake oil can, nice & clean plus I only run a rear brake.
IMG_20130601_134415_799-2.jpg

Posted via Mobile

Maybe this is a dump question, but is it possible to have a key start like a car? And not have a button to start? Im prolly not running blinkers, or at least not at the moment. And if i mount a regular key start like the one that monstercraftsman has, what would I do about the push button?

You could always wire a kill switch in somewhere else. Having it by the bars is preferred in case of emergency, but if you can get to it quick it might not be as much of an issue. I'm mounting one on a fake oil can under the seat.

Yep. That switch in the link sould work. It doesn't say what the amperage rating for the start option is, though. You might still have to use a relay.
I've used a "helicopter switch" before. Basically, it's a 3 position, toggle switch (off-on-momentary on) with a cover over it. It was rated at like 30 amps for start, and if you get into trouble, you just slap the cover down and it shuts off. I didn't use a key...

It was something like this: http://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/switches.asp

Using 59071 with 44218 Red
Or you could use 58311-13

I just picked up these 2 switches on ebay. Not sure if this is what your after, but I'm sure its going to be a cleaner more modern look.

full

full

I just picked up these 2 switches on ebay. Not sure if this is what your after, but I'm sure its going to be a cleaner more modern look.

full

full

I just bought the k&s left switch assembly too. Did yours fit your 7/8" handlebars? I got mine and they slide right off my 7/8" clip on bars. Called k&s and they were worthless.

Hint lawn tractors nearly all use a ignition lock with twist to start, less than $20 on flea bay. Possibly a free one behind your own garage.

I just bought the k&s left switch assembly too. Did yours fit your 7/8" handlebars? I got mine and they slide right off my 7/8" clip on bars. Called k&s and they were worthless.

I'd shim it with strips from a beer can or something. Im out of the country for another month of so. I'll let you know when I get home and try it out

Back