Clear fuel lines

rafbobber702

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many people I see use clear tubing on the fuel tanks petcock to carburetor. Or on their fuel tank gauge sights.

Mine had clear rubber tubing but has turned yellowish over time since it's been on their from the previous owner of my xs650.

I just replaced it today with Clear Braided Vinyl tubing that I bought online. But bought more of the same type at HomeDepot since I didn't order a long enough one online.

So this one feels and looks 10x better and stronger then the one that was on there. And won't kink even when I try to.

Anyone else use clear braided vinyl tubing/hose? As oppose to rubber, polyurethane or poly-plastic blends that I see around.

Here's a pic of my old rubber line with a kink

Attachments

• 20140905_174151.jpg
    20140905_174151.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 829
To keep mine from kinking I crossed the fuel lines. The right petcock feeds the left carb and the left petcock feeds the right carb.

Posted via Mobile

that looks like mine at the moment, I'm going to change my petcock so it's angled and not pointed down. No complaints about my clear fuel line. I got mine from low brow and it's been sturdy. I had bought some from hardware store and it hardened quick and it was stiff, this one I have is still pliable.

Hi raf,
like cobra sez, your gas tap should point a different way so the gas line don't have to make that sharp turn.
And yes, some vinyl lines do get yellow and hard over time.
I use Tygon gas lines. Tygon gas line is thin walled and will kink if it's bent too sharp but mine are still nicely flexible after 5 years use.

yes I use clear braided fuel lines on my bikes and scooters because it doesn't kink or collapse even on tight bends. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• braided.JPG
    braided.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 243
Is the outlet nipple on that petcock removable? Or is the whole thing cast as one piece?

that looks like mine at the moment, I'm going to change my petcock so it's angled and not pointed down. No complaints about my clear fuel line. I got mine from low brow and it's been sturdy. I had bought some from hardware store and it hardened quick and it was stiff, this one I have is still pliable.

I have trouble finding a 45-deg petcock, which I doubt they make. But I've found
90-deg ones, but the outlet comes out from the back instead of the side. Which I didn't like, so I'm making the ones I have work. The new clear braided tubing definitely looks like it will last a very long time.

Hi raf,
like cobra sez, your gas tap should point a different way so the gas line don't have to make that sharp turn.
And yes, some vinyl lines do get yellow and hard over time.
I use Tygon gas lines. Tygon gas line is thin walled and will kink if it's bent too sharp but mine are still nicely flexible after 5 years use.

I looked at different petcocks but the 90-deg ones I found had outlets on the backside. So the ON/OFF switch would end up facing towards inside the tank as oppose to facing out. If that makes sense, I saw the Tygoon certainly looks good too. But the one I'm using is thick walled and still pliable, hard to kink.

yes I use clear braided fuel lines on my bikes and scooters because it doesn't kink or collapse even on tight bends. :thumbsup:

Good stuff, I'm glad I got new and better lines too!

Is the outlet nipple on that petcock removable? Or is the whole thing cast as one piece?

Cast as one piece unfortunately.

Also do you guys use some type of heat shield sleeve on the fuel lines as an added protection? Or do you guys leave it as is, since the lines do slightly touch the engine.

My fuel lines on any bike I've ever owned DO NOT rest on or touch the hot motor. That's just plain wrong and needs to be corrected, but you don't seem to get that. Space the back of the tank up a little higher, maybe that will help.

My fuel lines on any bike I've ever owned DO NOT rest on or touch the hot motor. That's just plain wrong and needs to be corrected, but you don't seem to get that. Space the back of the tank up a little higher, maybe that will help.

I'll add some spacers for sure.

Maybe you could concoct an elbowed guide pipe, that would fit either inside or outside the fuel line.
Similar to a plumbing elbow, but longer.
copper-fitting-90-street-elbow.jpg

It could be slipped-on directly, or split in half to clamp over the fuel line. That more-flexible thinner-wall tygon would be best for this...

Maybe you could concoct an elbowed guide pipe, that would fit either inside or outside the fuel line.
Similar to a plumbing elbow, but longer.
copper-fitting-90-street-elbow.jpg

It could be slipped-on directly, or split in half to clamp over the fuel line. That more-flexible thinner-wall tygon would be best for this...

Interesting, I'll look into this. Thanks!

Back