Clutch basket movement

David Toll

Reliving my youth?
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I am in the process of repairing the 4th gear friction clip to improve my new starter function. Indeed, I have completed that part of the job successfully thanks to the comprehensive write ups regarding the topic, on this Forum. Whilst replacing my clutch basket, I noticed a section of friction material broken away from one of the plates. Assuming this would not assist in the operation of a smooth clutch, I ordered 7 new plates and cleaned up the steel plates with 120 grit to leave a roughened surface. The starter now hums like a bee but, I have noticed a little movement in the clutch basket now that I have it all installed and ready to accept the new plates. I'm not talking a lot of wobble - maybe .5mm. I disassembled and rebuilt using this excellent diagram provided in a thread by 650 Bobber Boy. All washers are correct and in place - I doubled checked their placement and seating and measured their thickness against that offered in the diagram. The thrust bearing appears to be in good condition. I have applied 56.5 ft/lbs of torque to the hub nut. Everything appears to be done by the "book". There is a little movement in the shaft the basket sits on that could be reflected in the "wobble" I'm seeing in the completed assembly. Am I being pedantic? The motor is 42 years old and carries 22,000 miles however, I thought these "geared" fittings would seam together a little more solidly. Opinions?

Attachments

• IMG_0464.JPG
    IMG_0464.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 176
  • Clutch diagram.jpg
    Clutch diagram.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 188
  • Clutch plate.jpg
    Clutch plate.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 186
Last edited:
Hi not sure here
On the photo picture I can see one washer behind the nut while on the parts picture are
two
k nut
i washer
j washer
One is a spring washer and one a Lock washer and there are variations between year models
If i remember right at least 3 different clutches.

Hello Jan,
Yes, I have got two washers under the nut. One is a plain washer and the other is mildly cone shaped to apply spring pressure as the nut tightens. This model clutch, ('77 build SE), does not use the locking tab washer as do the later varieties - just the two shown in the diagram. Thanks for your opinion though. I have read some of your previous commentary on this re-assembly and used it as reference.
Cheers

Hello Jan,
Yes, I have got two washers under the nut. One is a plain washer and the other is mildly cone shaped to apply spring pressure as the nut tightens. This model clutch, ('77 build SE), does not use the locking tab washer as do the later varieties - just the two shown in the diagram. Thanks for your opinion though. I have read some of your previous commentary on this re-assembly and used it as reference.
Cheers
Thinking out loud again other gentlemen might know better.
But if the inner and outer basket are fixed radially there is a risk for difficulties in operating the clutch as well as inserting the plates. They fit rather tight.
And there has to be a bit axial play for the axial bearing 1
It is a quantification question how much and where
But the clutch looks fine on the pictures and should do so after 22000 miles only.
As long as it sits at 90 degrees on the axle ..My guess it is OK
Perhaps a video uploaded here or installing the plates and evaluate after that

Back