Clutch Cable Part #

halfmile

XS Builder
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have the part # for the Motion-Pro Easy Pull clutch cable. One for a Standard with the low bars, not a Special. The one with the nylon inner sleeve.

Last edited:
Thanks Jim. Powersportsuperstore shows that part # for 1975-79. I take that to be a standard with the shorter cable. A few other sites show that same part # for the Special, Special 2 and Heritage all with buckhorn bars?? Confusing.:umm: Seems like I`ve ran into this before.

Thanks Jim. Powersportsuperstore shows that part # for 1975-79. I take that to be a standard with the shorter cable. A few other sites show that same part # for the Special, Special 2 and Heritage all with buckhorn bars?? Confusing.:umm: Seems like I`ve ran into this before.
Not sure Phil. Send 'em an email?:shrug:

Well it looks like bright and early in the morning I`ll be blasting down to the local haberdashery to get fitted for a new "Dunce Cap". It seems I have a new one still in the package.:shootme::doh:
DSCN0395.JPG
DSCN0396.JPG

As far as I know, Motion Pro only makes that one clutch cable for the 650, so it probably fits them all. Although there is a length difference between the two original cables (Special and Standard), it isn't much, only an inch or two.

As far as I know, Motion Pro only makes that one clutch cable for the 650, so it probably fits them all. Although there is a length difference between the two original cables (Special and Standard), it isn't much, only an inch or two.
I think your correct. Even with 34" wide flat track bars the cable is a couple inches longer than I would like.

About all we can do is experiment with different ways of routing the cable to absorb the extra length. I had to do that with the choke cable on my '83, took a couple of tries (different routings) to get it right (good).

Not sure about that but it is a high quality replacement that many of us use. It's reasonably priced and well made. But, as with pretty much any replacement cable, you need to oil it before install. They don't put much oil on it while making it.

My last job was in R&D for a polymer compounding company. Our big product line was flame retardant for wire insulation. One of the projects I helped with was adding silicone to one of our compounds to make it easier for electricians to pull wires through long conduit.

But, as with pretty much any replacement cable, you need to oil it before install. They don't put much oil on it while making it.
In trying to lube the clutch cable or accelerator cable is it necessary to detach them? I had tried with some spray lubricant, but it is impossible to really cover the distance with them attached. You say here to oil the cable. Can this be done with a cheap grade motor oil or does something else work better? Thanks,
'TT'

Yes, plain old motor oil works about the best, better than that spray stuff, it's too thin (doesn't last very long). Yes, you can do it with the cable in place, just detach the upper end. But it does work best with the cable removed and hung vertically. You dribble oil in the top a little at a time, until it comes out the bottom. Takes multiple applications and 15 minutes or so to make it's way down through .....

bKDNK8A.jpg

Back