Clutch issues

Ridenchoppas

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Just got my first xs650 about a month ago and the clutch started started slipping so I bought new clutch friction plates and new springs and got them installed. Problem I am having is the bike will not shift into neutral while it is running it will however shift into neutral whiles it’s not running just fine. I’ve tried adjusting the clutch but no luck.. so any advise on what to try would be appreciated. Thanks

Hmmm, slipping would indicate that it's not fully engaging, not going into neutral while running would indicate that its not fully disengaging... Did you replace the friction plates? Are you fully slacking the cable when you adjust the clutch? Are you leaving 2-3mm of free-play in the cable once the clutch is adjusted?

Is your trouble getting into neutral (while running) only being attempted in the driveway, not moving?
These bikes will usually struggle to get into neutral in this circumstance.
If this is your situation, first "clear the plates" by putting in first gear (engine off) , pull the clutch in, then rock forwards and back forcefully until the clutch unlocks.
Then put it in neutral, start the bike up, put it in first, and take a ride.
It should slip into neutral easily as you are just coming to a stop, just before you stop.

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to add that the clutch is a hydraulic clutch so I don’t think I can adjust the cable itself. I just adjusted the actuator on the side cover. I did change the friction plates and springs. It does not slip anymore just the problem shifting into neutral while the bike is running. Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to add that the clutch is a hydraulic clutch so I don’t think I can adjust the cable itself. I just adjusted the actuator on the side cover. I did change the friction plates and springs. It does not slip anymore just the problem shifting into neutral while the bike is running. Thanks
Ok, well that a horse of a different color, If your having problems getting into neutral with a hydro clutch you most likely need to bleed the clutch. Its not fully disengaging.

If all else fails it's probably the clutch basked is worn where the plates contact the slots. If the slots are rough from the plates moving back and forth the plates will not release properly. Some times you can file the basket smooth and make it ok for a while, some times you have to replace the basket.

Back