Clutch lever/cable

KasperTheGhost

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ok, so i am a little jammed up, i bought a new clutch cable from mikes xs to compliment a set of 1” levers on bigger bars. The problem is, it always feels like my clutch is engaged, whats the best way to address this?

IMG_7793.jpeg

So i think this is what you are asking for. With that ferrule all the way in, thats whats on the other end. Is that what you are asking me? I saw another post, the ball bearing is in my housing. Should i start checking service measurements for play?

Attachments

• IMG_7792.jpeg
    IMG_7792.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7798.jpeg
    IMG_7798.jpeg
    474.2 KB · Views: 18
Your adjuster should have both parts screwed all the way in when you install the cable. Once the cable is installed screw them out until you only have1/4-1/8” of play in the lever. Then. Hold the outer and twist the inner to lock them in place. The clutch adjustment is under the small round cap on the side cover. Loosen the 10mm nut and use a Phillips to run the screw in until snug then back off 1/4 turn. Hold the adjustment and tighten the 10 mm locking nut. If everything is correct internally that should do it.IMG_2924.png

When you do the clutch adjustment, loosen the adjuster up at the lever all the way and do the adjustment down at the worm first. Take up as much slack as you can with that worm gear adjuster, then finish with the adjuster at the lever to get the last little bit of freeplay out. Also, most of us run the adjustment a bit tighter than the manual calls for. It tells you to turn the worm adjuster in until it bottoms out then back it out 1/4 turn. We back it out less, maybe 1/8 of a turn. And up at the lever, I adjust pretty much all the play out. This is on a cold motor. Now, this may seem too tight, but these bikes develop lots of freeplay in the clutch lever as they warm up, so setting it snug on a cold motor isn't an issue. Once the bike is running and warming up, more freeplay will naturally develop.

Back