Clutch Problem - Gears Lock After Riding

Dgerard718

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Wierd issue. Twice now the bike has ridden fine, but after I turn it off and try to find neutral to park, the gears won't shift, and they lock up tight. The rear wheel won't turn at all, forwards or backwards, with the lever in or not. If I start the bike up again I can then shift no problem. I haven't opend it up yet, but does this sound familiar to anyone, and what should I be looking for? Thanks.

I park in 1st and when I put it in neutral to start, I shove the bike forward about an inch which lets me shift it into neutral. In reality either you're getting into neutral or your clutch is working (which you seem to say it isn't) or else you couldn't start the bike up again - it would be engaged with the wheels.

So...after you turn it off try rolling the bike forward about an inch and see if that lets you shift to neutral.

That is the part that is getting me, the bike will start again (with the lever in, stuck in 1st gear), and then it will shift again. I tried to roll the bike, because I usually have to do that to get into neutral anyway, but the wheel is locked solid, it won't roll at all. It's been stored outside all winter, unfortunately, I'm wondering if something like the friction plates might have gotten stuck together. Obviously this is a brand new issue, I've had the thing damn near a decade without any problems.

Funny. I wonder if the rear brake is stuck and dragging. The cam that expands the shoes can get gunked up in the plate on the rear hub it goes through.

I thought that, but I disengaged the rear brake and it didn't unlock. I'm going to pull the cover off tomorrow and see if anything jumps out at me. I was wondering if it couldn't be either a gummy oil issue or the cam bushing is out of place on the push rod.

If you can start it when you can't roll it, and it isn't the brake, then it's beyond me. Maybe somebody else will try. Let us know what you find.

Is the clutch adjusted properly? Is it dragging? Can you feel it dragging with the clutch pulled in and the bike in first gear.. like it's trying to move forward a little bit?

I think the clutch is adjusted correctly, although it is cold adjusted, I'll have to get it warmed up and see what happens. I've noticed that pulling away in first gear, I;ve needed to let the clutch out way more slowly than before, or I stall. If I pull the clutch in and kick it over in first though, it just starts up, doesn't leap forward like the clutch is engaged or anything.

I vote you open up your rear brake I have seen a lot (OK several anyways) of shoes that fell off the backing plates after a winter outside.

If you can start the bike with the clutch pulled your clutch is either sticking or out of adjustment. The engine and and kickstarter are connected by the clutch.

Wierd issue. Twice now the bike has ridden fine, but after I turn it off and try to find neutral to park, the gears won't shift, and they lock up tight. The rear wheel won't turn at all, forwards or backwards, with the lever in or not. If I start the bike up again I can then shift no problem. I haven't opend it up yet, but does this sound familiar to anyone, and what should I be looking for? Thanks.
the transmission uses straight cut gears, without the engine running you do need to rock the bike/rear wheel back and forth to shift gears, put it in neutral before shutting it off

I'll give that a whirl. Took the left case off today, and noticed that for some reason, the pushrod bushing is totally out, past the oil seal. That can't be good. Tomorrow I'm gonna get that back in place too. Thanks for the help.

Back