Clutch problem! please help

Reaction score
Hey guys, so just recently started having some clutch problems, clutch was slipping out of gear, and it was struggling coming out of first.

So I went ahead and replaced the friction plates. The springs seems to be in good spec, compared them with new ones I bought, and sent back the new ones because the old ones seemed fine. I torqued down the screws to 7 foot pounds, saw this in a instructional video, adjusted the clutch as follows. ( all the way in on handle bar, tightened adjusted until touching the push rod, 1/4 back, (tried 1/8 back as well) tightened the nut, and done. )

But even after doing all the it is having a bigger problem... Everytime I shift into first she dies. it's like the clutch is not disengaging. if messed back and forth with the adjuster, and still no luck, every time it dies once I shift into first. I am stumped here and could really use some help. as to what I am supposed to do.

Might it be possible I tightened the retainer screws in too tight??

Thanks

When i put in my new clutch, I had same problem.
Here is what I do-- before I turn the ign on, I choke, pull the clutch in, kick untill kicker goes limp, this also primes the cylinders . Then turn ign on, and always starts first kick, and then the clutch plates are free, and shifting to first doesn't kill my bike anymore.

tried it and nothing. It's not that the bike has problems starting, it starts everytime, just dies as soon as I shift down into first.

Hi jtporter9,
you got a 1980 or later bike, eh?
Didja check that the sidestand interlock switch is working properly?
The one that kills the engine when you put the bike in gear with the stand down?

nevermine i figured it out, I had one of the retainer screws too tight which was not allowing the clutch to fully disengage. thanks for the tips.

What retainer screws? Anyway, I'm glad you figured it out. I was going to ask if you soaked the new plates in oil overnight.

FYI: I put mikesxs clutch kit in my 72. It adds another friction plate and the springs are much longer. It is slicker than frog shit on Teflon. And it doesn't slip.

Ride carefully! :bike:

Hi Fred, Really, it actually kills the engine when in gear with the side stand down? Mine's a 72, I got nothin. I can even electric start mine whilst in gear. Ahhhhhh, technology. I guess your nice weather is about to end, eh?

Last edited:
I was not aware of this feature. My XS2 has set for 2 years while I working on engine and carb issues. It was a project bike. Bikes starts and runs great. Now when I tried to tap into 1st from neutral, it acts like the clutch is not working. With the engine running, the clutch held in, as soon as i tap into 1st the bike lurches and stalls out. I have adjusted the cable, adjusted the lock nut per the manual, taken the side cover off and found no leaking oil, took the push rod out and cleaned it an put back in. No matter how I adjust the darn thing, it won't go into gear without lunching and dying.

here is what I did to fix this, you might need new friction plates and or springs I got some EBC plates off of amazon, for like $50 and also bought some new springs, When I compared the springs they were the same in length and strength so I kept the old ones. Soak the plates in oil overnight or at least for over 6 hours or so. follow instructions on replacing those. (ps. be super careful taking out the spring retainer screws, they used a phillips head which was a terrible Idea, so make sure to use an impact driver while taking those outl.) replace all that. now when you put the screws back in make sure they are toqued down to 7 foot pounds with a torque wrench no more loose nor tight. too tight and the clutch will not disengage while shifting into first, too loose and your clutch might not engadge or your clutch could slip between gears while riding. (here be very careful not to overtighten and break a screw or strip the head, I did and sucks). Also an easy fix that helped with all this is adjust the clutch adjuster down on the right side engine to spec, (adjuster 1/4 turn back from touching the push rod) then the more I loosened the adjuster next to the clutch lever.(or the more it came out) the better the less of a problem I had with this( this was before I replaced the clutch.) any way, good luck!! ask if any questions.

here is what I did to fix this, you might need new friction plates and or springs I got some EBC plates off of amazon, for like $50 and also bought some new springs, When I compared the springs they were the same in length and strength so I kept the old ones. Soak the plates in oil overnight or at least for over 6 hours or so. follow instructions on replacing those. (ps. be super careful taking out the spring retainer screws, they used a phillips head which was a terrible Idea, so make sure to use an impact driver while taking those outl.) replace all that. now when you put the screws back in make sure they are toqued down to 7 foot pounds with a torque wrench no more loose nor tight. too tight and the clutch will not disengage while shifting into first, too loose and your clutch might not engadge or your clutch could slip between gears while riding. (here be very careful not to overtighten and break a screw or strip the head, I did and sucks). Also an easy fix that helped with all this is adjust the clutch adjuster down on the right side engine to spec, (adjuster 1/4 turn back from touching the push rod) then the more I loosened the adjuster next to the clutch lever.(or the more it came out) the better the less of a problem I had with this( this was before I replaced the clutch.) any way, good luck!! ask if any questions.

Well it helped. Last night I put it into 2nd gear, bike shut off, hand lever pulled in and started kicking. After 6 good kicks, it felt looser. That was it. She shifts fine. I re-adjusted the clutch adjusting screw to spec and took her out for a quick blast down the 2 lane. Gears snick through the changes just fine. Thank you all very much. Good tip.

Stone hands, my bike sat for 25 years. My clutch wouldn't come loose for nothing. I had to pull the plates and clean and oil them. Then, all was good.

This winter, I am going to tear into the clutch and check it all out. right now the tip on using the Kickstarter really did work. I was very pleased.

Thank you for the advise as well.

Back