Clutch problem. Wheel won't roll freely

Bran1000rr

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello I am new to the forum. I have an 82 650. Idk if the problem has to do with no oil in the case but here it goes.. When I pull the lever in, the bike remains in gear. I have the single pushrod and have played with all of the adjustments. When I took the cover off I made sure the clutch plates were not sticking. Any guidance would be appreciated thanks! :wtf:

Those plates want to be wet. If the crankcase has been empty and/or sitting for any length of time, the clutch can be deceivingly sticky. Oiled and warmed up a few times, and you should be good to go, as long as everything else is correct.

With the bike up on the center stand, in gear, clutch lever pulled in, the rear wheel won't spin easily. On these bikes the clutch only open just enough to work, no extra.
Drag between the plates prevents the wheel from turning easy.
With oil in the engine and the clutch adjustments right it will work fine while running, just not off, in gear and clutch pulled in. Still whas drag and will not roll easy. Just slip it in neutral to push it around.
Leo

I just installed a new clutch in my bike & it was doing the same thing.

I tinkered with it for awhile, convinced I had made a mistake on the install. It eased my mind to see the clutch plates opening up fine when I had the side cover off and squeezing the handle. I could also see the clutch dragging when the bike was rolled back & forth...

The bike would stall when I put it in gear with the clutch pulled in. couldnt roll it freely in gear with
the clutch pulled in etc..

I put it back together anyway & took it out. After the 2nd redlight, it was working totally normal.

Just had to get it out there to break it in !!

Back