Clutch relocation

pat_in_the_hat

In the learning stage
Reaction score
Just throwing this idea out there, but has anyone ever made a jockey shift where the shaft of the shifter has a joint where it pivots either in or out from the bike and engages/disengages the clutch? Think this is possible? The connection between the shifter shaft and the motor would have to be reinforced I believe.
Thoughts?

alright. after drawing it out, it would be simple to make and would really clean the clutch and shifter up, but would probably be really hard to operate. In fact, its a pretty stupid idea... I am way too bored at work....
20150508_113739.jpg

I've done three like that over the years. I used a similar design like the mid 90's Suzuki king quads. Pull up on a knob to disengage clutch and pull lever to shift. Sort of like a power glide.

By the way, When you pull the clutch lever you're actually disengaging the clutch. When you're riding down the road the clutch is engaged.

Hey, Pat. Thoughts. The clutch pushrod needs about 400 lbs and at least 0.060" travel to work well. Any contrivance will need about a 50:1 leverage ratio to work that within human abilities. In an ideal/frictionless setup, that'll work out to about 8 lbs effort over 3" of travel...

Back