Clutch will not disengage when pulled

FredSaunders

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I installed new clutch disks and springs in my 1977 but when I pull the clutch it will not move it out of gear. I also adjusted using the clutch adjusment screw and it still will not release. OMG...I broke my baby...what have I done!!:eek:

That is probably it...I pull the clutch and the plates do move but not enough to disengage..Ill check...Thanks!

I pulled off the clutch (again) and the ball at the end to push the plunger is there.

I did not remove the rods so I'm assuming the ball between the rods is still there.

The clutch was working fine until I change the clutch plates.

Any ideas why it won't disengage when I pull the clutch lever?

Did you line the basket up correctly? Did you check for wear grooves in the slots?

Basket is lined up correctly with the hole and the dot....but check out these wear grooves in the slots. Is this what can be causing the clutch to not disengage?

Wear Groves XS650.jpg

It's possible those grooves are causing the plates to hang up. You can smooth them slightly but you don't want to remove too much material or you get too much play in the assembly. Something else I do is assemble all the steel plates facing a certain way. If you examine one, you'll see it's stamped out. This gives it sharp edges on one side, rounded ones on the other. I assemble mine with the rounded edges all facing out. I figure the plates will be more inclined to spread apart on their own this way without hanging.

I take some sand paper and sand away the sharp edge on the steel plates. I then install the steel lates with the factory curved edge on the inside. This curved edge helps the plates slide over the grooves in the hub better so the clutch closes tighter. I would rather have a problem opening the clutch than a slipping problem.

Did you happen to fiddle with and remove the worm gear from it's housing and then reinstall it off by one tooth?

Back