Cog nut on the advancer unit

pa23driver

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Quick question about something i'm sure many of you have ran into...

Any tips on removing the cog nut holding the advancer unit bracket to the cam shaft?

I can't seem to get the damn thing off - i had to pop the cam out with the thing still attached. i tried a drift punch, screw driver and the space is too small to get a spanner wrench in there.

i'd like to get a look at the cam shaft oil seal while i got the top end apart.

The punch and hammer routine is the prescribed method according to the shop manuals. There is no other way I know of. Some things that may help - penetrating oil, heat, remove the ATU weights and springs to gain better access, hammer against different slots all the way around the unit, don't concentrate in just one spot.

Yeah, i've always just use a hammer. Torch might help. If you have a pin wrench that might help as well.

Maybe tough with the cam out of the engine. It is a right hand thread so it turns counterclockwise to loosen.

Maybe tough with the cam out of the engine. It is a right hand thread so it turns counterclockwise to loosen.

ya, i'm not too crazy about putting a cam shaft in a vice...

the cam seal isn't leaking and the points side seal looks good, so i think i'll just leave it alone for now, and if it ever leaks i'll redouble my efforts with the ol hammer.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Soak it good with PJ Blaster, a couple times as you rebuild the engine, once you get the cam back in the engine, try to loosen the nut. If it comes apart then put in the new seal and gaskets. It should come apart after a good soaking of PJ blaster.

Back