Common fasteners

mm1ut1

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I want to build up a supply of the most common fasteners used on vintage Japanese motorcycles. What would you say are the six most common sizes and can anyone recommend a source ?
Thanks !

In the metric system there is standards Coarse and Fine Threads
M4 M6 M8 M10 and some claim M5 all coarse but 5 it is not the preferred standard ( or was not )
This being large manufacturers so they can chose differently
They use Phillips looking heads that is their own standard JIS
Should be outlawed and if you get one out seriously consider replace.

Here in Europe there are kits at Autoparts suppliers

https://www.biltema.se/en-se/constr...machine-screws/screw-set-205-parts-2000017225
Comes cheaper than buying single ones.

At the end there you can se what sizes is in there.

I would recommend buy a little longer screws and hacksaw them off filing the end. Should one need it
Instead of having a box with to short ones and not being able to get the job ready.
Put the nut on before sawing off end then take the nut off it helps with the thread start.

I always keep a couple of lengths all thread I believe it is called in English a meter or longer threaded all the way
of 4 6 8 and 10.

If you are into DIY you sooner or later need them. Again hack sawing off what you need.

At some places higher grade bolts can be needed so there can be differences even though it is the same looking
Screw

Thread gauge may be needed getting it right

https://www.biltema.se/en-se/tools/...-tools/thread-gauges-metres-inches-2000016879

There also seems to be variation in bolt head sizes. I noticed early that Honda's 8mm bolts would have 12mm heads and those on a Yamaha would have 13mm heads

Is that 89.90 local Swedish currency? If that's dollars or euros that seems like allot.

Is that 89.90 local Swedish currency? If that's dollars or euros that seems like allot.

That is local currency $ 8. 5

1669739112613.png

There also seems to be variation in bolt head sizes. I noticed early that Honda's 8mm bolts would have 12mm heads and those on a Yamaha would have 13mm heads
Yes to that.
I believe there are some nuts holding the cases on XS 650 that is 12 mm
It. was always 13 as standard ...But can have been changed
Most cases the 13 will fit .But I got a Surprise buying stock Nuts and the Senior Mech at the dealer told me it might not fit.

J.I.S. bolt heads are often smaller than normal metric ones. For instance, a standard metric M8 fastener normally has a 13mm head. The J.I.S. version only has a 12mm head. You'll find lots of these on your 650. In most cases, the standard one can be swapped in, but it's not going to be 100% correct and original anymore. No big deal really, unless you're doing a 10 point restoration.

One of the most common sizes you'll be replacing is the M6, so you could start there. I'd get stainless and get M6 nuts, washers, and lock washers, along with a couple different bolt lengths. The beauty of stainless is you can cut it without having to worry about it rusting. So, if you get some longer bolts, say 40mm or so, you can cut them down and make any shorter ones you may need. I have cut some down in the past but over the years, I've collected up most of the common lengths needed. But, there are some odd lengths, like the hand lever perch clamping bolts (22mm long). Those you will need to cut from longer ones.

Once you move up to the M8 size, bolts can start getting expensive, lol. I don't have many bolts in that size but do have the nuts and washers.

I also have quite a selection of Allens, both regular and buttonhead. I probably have more sizes of these than regular bolts, lol. They are mostly smaller ones (M4, M5, some M6) because my main use for them is on carbs. Here's a recent thread I did on the carb screw sizes .....

https://www.xs650.com/threads/carb-allen-screws.62686/

OK, here is my 2Cents:
M5, M6 and M8 is standard metric coarse thread.
However, M10 and M12 are both 1.25 mm pitch on most Japanese bikes and cars. Swingarm bolts, wheel axles, steering stems, as well as some internal fasteners in engine and transmission are larger, and mostly fine thread og some type.
So for a small stash of "spare", I agree that various lengths of M6 and M8 makes most sense.

Not directly motorcycle related but one of the loaders we had was made in Japan and some sizes of bolts for the same thread size could have up to three different wrench size heads! I always took great pains to use them in the places they were originally installed. I did this mainly to not need to carry three different tools to just unhook one hydraulic hose.

Back