Could this make the bike run hot?

The old BSA tipples (but maybe a hot twin?) ran hot. After beefing things up, which worked, they discovered that they had a "mustang spark" that caused the overheating.... (from memory of a world lost in the acidfogs of time, I think it was the triple...1965?))

I am wondering about exhaust temperatures and left/right head temperatures taken immediately upon engine stop.

100% of the heat comes from the oxidation of the fuel, of course, so it's an easy differential diagnoses. Heat loss v heat generation. Note that heat loss is by several avenues...conduction, radiation, and exhaust gas, and of course some heat is captured and goes through the machine and gears/rubber bits to windloss, hillclimb, and brake heat.

I'd take more disciplined measurements, write things down, and find a fella with an o'scope too. Note emissivity variance when using IR temperature tool...SS is no Al... correct according to table> https://assets.omega.com/pdf/tables_and_graphs/emissivity-table.pdf Temperature reading taken indirectly without correction are highly misleading.

I would replace the lube oil first with known proper oil. Likewise, premium fresh fuel.

Best!

The old BSA tipples (but maybe a hot twin?) ran hot. After beefing things up, which worked, they discovered that they had a "mustang spark" that caused the overheating.... (from memory of a world lost in the acidfogs of time, I think it was the triple...1965?))

I am wondering about exhaust temperatures and left/right head temperatures taken immediately upon engine stop.

100% of the heat comes from the oxidation of the fuel, of course, so it's an easy differential diagnoses. Heat loss v heat generation. Note that heat loss is by several avenues...conduction, radiation, and exhaust gas, and of course some heat is captured and goes through the machine and gears/rubber bits to windloss, hillclimb, and brake heat.

I'd take more disciplined measurements, write things down, and find a fella with an o'scope too. Note emissivity variance when using IR temperature tool...SS is no Al... correct according to table> https://assets.omega.com/pdf/tables_and_graphs/emissivity-table.pdf Temperature reading taken indirectly without correction are highly misleading.

I would replace the lube oil first with known proper oil. Likewise, premium fresh fuel.

Best!
Quick rundown. Baught a 77 odo read 9k. I built frame into a bobber. Bike came with frozen bs 38s Baught used 34s because i was copying a build I found and liked. I also baught and installed Mikes XS PMA kit installed with capacitor. I have used amsoil vtwin oil from the start. Pipes are wrapped and I made the 2.5" tips with baffles. Bike ran like a top. 1st ride 20 miles than lost power when tried to restart bike backfired kick only kicked my leg back each ride was shorter and shorter like the issue worsened. I replaced the electronic advance from Mikes the reg/rec and the coils chasing this issue. Mikes was respectful and worked with me. This was all last summer. 2 weeks ago I baught a 2nd engine replaced timing chain guide and head gasket and another 40 dollars in amsoil. installed in bike 3 mile ride engine is hot wont shift back firing when kick starting cant even touch the advance to move timing as the heat burns my fingers. Only thing not changed have been carbs. But I have rejetted them several times.

You using the same ignition in both engines or do you have two separate ignitions?

the coils from mikes fire all the time on both strokes. can put plug wire on either side could that be buring the
You using the same ignition in both engines or do you have two separate ignitions?
Same ignition same carbs.

the coils from mikes fire all the time on both strokes. can put plug wire on either side could that be buring the
Same ignition same carbs.
this is everything I found I have taken off the 77. I dont have a harness. This is what I will try and install. With the PMA reg/rec in one. And capacitor. Will this work?
I really appreciate everyones input and help. You guys are the best!

Attachments

• 20230617_190018.jpg
    20230617_190018.jpg
    446.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 16870464736667592408117552069331.jpg
    16870464736667592408117552069331.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 27
Yeah, looks like you've got everything....
You don't have to modify whatever harness you have; just take the existing coil + wire you have and hook it to the brown lead on each coil. The points' Orange and one of the condenser leads will go to Left Coil Orange(-), the points' gray and the other condenser to the Right coil Orange (-).

Last edited:
It's normal that both cylinders fire on each stroke. Wasted spark. I believe they all do that. I'm sure all the xs s w tci do. I'm not 100% sure on points and separate coils. Sure sounds like it's way to lean or something w timing. I think your doing the right thing w trying a different ignition. Also you don't need to put a big battery. They make small 12v ion bats w just as much or more amps. If you want to try that.

“Not likely… they are super solid.
Have you ran these systems?”

Sorry Tully that was a joke. I was messing with JP.

Do a quick search for them here and you’ll fine they don’t have much for a quality reputation.

Sorry Tully that was a joke. I was messing with JP
I laughed...😁

And....I'm actually having a "senior moment" and might have the colors of the points' wires backward, so if anybody can for certain correct that - please do.......:umm:

Last edited:
I laughed...😁

And....I'm actually having a "senior moment" and might have the colors of the points' wires backward, so if anybody can for certain correct that - please do.......:umm:

Orange/left and Grey/right "sounds" correct to me.
easy enough to swap 'em though if nothing fires.

“Not likely… they are super solid.
Have you ran these systems?”

Sorry Tully that was a joke. I was messing with JP.

Do a quick search for them here and you’ll fine they don’t have much for a quality reputation.
Agreed 🙂

Ill get this done asap and will return either smiling with bugs in my teeth or Ill just have a new boat anchor. Fingers crossed
One other question. Can a guy use the wires off my MikesXS coil? I believe they have a condensor or something in each cap. Only asking because the wires are much nicer and I believe the plugs I have need them caps for some reason.

One other question. Can a guy use the wires off my MikesXS coil? I believe they have a condensor or something in each cap. Only asking because the wires are much nicer and I believe the plugs I have need them caps for some reason.

Attachments

• 16870519772748569252286648936240.jpg
    16870519772748569252286648936240.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 30
Plugs

Attachments

• 16870519992162288036509279439340.jpg
    16870519992162288036509279439340.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 16870520356226635478103621192582.jpg
    16870520356226635478103621192582.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 35
For testing purposes, either set of wires and caps will work. There are no condensers in there, but the cap in the pic has a resistor and your plugs do too (minor issue to sort out later)

For testing purposes, either set of wires and caps will work. There are no condensers in there, but the cap in the pic has a resistor and your plugs do too (minor issue to sort out later)
When condensor is wired to coil with wire from points can they all be connected in the same spot all 3 wires together?

Let's see the inner workings. The electrode, tip. What color? Many here like a white tip with some tan down in the insulator (52 mpg) , I am happy with a tan on the insulator tip (47 mpg)
Ash white with no color deep in the plug recess is leam and hot.

Last edited:
Back