Cozy Garage

Do you have a warm cozy place to work on your bike?

• No

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • It's warm, but not cozy

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • It's cozy, but not warm.

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Yes

Votes: 17 35.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pamcopete

Ride.Enjoy.Life is Simple
Reaction score
A tire I ordered about a week ago arrived yesterday with a thud at my front door. It's still sitting in the dining room. I might take it down to the garage sometime today, but no hurry. This time of year you can just take your time working on your bike(s) because you ain't going nowhere for a few days, or weeks, or months until it warms up a bit and the snow and salt are gone.

Here in the Sunny South, it's usually just a few days of rainy cold weather that keeps you off the road, but the feeling is the same. You can take your time with whatever project you are doing.

My garage is kinda cozy with a heat pump I had installed a few years ago. Warm in the winter and cool in the summer, so I can spend the whole day down there tinkering. Maybe start a more ambitious project because, again, the bikes not going anywhere.

I think this "coziness" factor would be greater in an area with real winter to deal with. The garage or work shed would be a place of escape where you could open the box of parts that just arrived in the mail, maybe pour another cup of coffee or a hot chocolate and take your time. Peek out the window and see the snow come down, secure in your cave surrounded by your bikes, tools and a source of heat.

Happy New Year

You mean it shouldnt be a cold dark cellar disconnected from your house where you have to fight the cold to survive?:D
Happy Holidays to you

Or a shed within a shed at the back of the garden, falling apart slowly but surely, whilst letting in all the freezing chill through the various rotted and collapsed parts of the walls??

Have a grand new year!!

My garage is insulated, but the canadian winter is usually quite cold. I do have an electric heater mounted to the ceiling, which I use on occasion.

My stratagy is to do maintenance in October or April. I had some work to do, so I did it in October..............oil change/filter change,wheels off for new tires, clean the wheels/brake calipers,new camshaft oil seals/gaskets, chain off and cleaned/replaced, etc. etc.

Come April/May, my bike is ready to boogy:bike:

The Calgary Motorcycle Show in about a week, will help me make it through the winter:bike:

I am able to bring small stuff into the basement to work on, but there the bikes are in an unheated garage so I'm sort of 70/30.

For both lack of cash and common sense, I work out from under a network of tarps in the space between two houses. Between my roommate and I, we have seven bikes back there. I can work on at one at a time.

Here in socal we get about a month of rain a year at most, and even during the rainy season it's intermittent - yesterday it was pouring at 50 degrees, today it's sunny and clear and probably going to hit 75. When it rains though, extra tarps have to be put on the bikes and tools and I can't do any work back there.

Can't afford it anytime soon, but my dream is to have enough money to rent a ground floor indoor storefront or warehouse or studio I don't have to wait out rainy days. Jealous of all you with garages!

Here's to each of us finding it all a little easier in '15!

2' drifts outside 3*F~, 6000 sq ft inside. and shop is toasty w/ one of these:

http://www.wasteoilheater.net/

Only fueled w/ waste restaraunt fryer oil through a preheater. The red one was a test unit. The blue one, refined to say the least:wink2:.

*sniff*, *sniff* Mmmmmmmmm, fried chicken (, or french fries, tortillas, etc)

Not "no hassle" by any means, but it is cheap. Just gas money to retreive from 6 local places:thumbsup:

Seasons greetings!

Attachments

• S4023892.JPG
    S4023892.JPG
    289.6 KB · Views: 178
  • S4025086.JPG
    S4025086.JPG
    227.8 KB · Views: 189
  • S4025080.JPG
    S4025080.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 170
  • S4025098.JPG
    S4025098.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 179
  • S4025092.JPG
    S4025092.JPG
    185.4 KB · Views: 176
  • S4025104.JPG
    S4025104.JPG
    220.8 KB · Views: 190
  • S4025105.JPG
    S4025105.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 167
I decided 5 years ago i was tired of working in a cold and hot garage. So I have heat and A/C. I think i now will paint palm trees on one wall so when it's 20 below I can look at the trees in my 65 + garage, and on the other wall, snow capped mountain peaks when its 90 deg with 80% humidity outside.:D

My garage definitely isn't cozy, it's 30 meters from the house, no electric, got to run a lead from the house, no heat, and the occasional scurrying from rats in the roof.

My garage definitely isn't cozy, it's 30 meters from the house, no electric, got to run a lead from the house, no heat, and the occasional scurrying from rats in the roof.

I got that too! I have a lead from the kitchen going into my shed, and I do have the occasional neighbourhood cat jumping on my roof, which makes me cringe, waiting for it to collapse!!

its only warm if its warm out and even here is texas its getting a lil nippy

deffinitaly cozy though with the army of land cruiser scout and 8ish bikes

Shoot, Ive got only a concrete floor, 2 walls and a roof of a bikeport and a covered patio to store and work on my bikes. I do also have a workroom in the house for not too smelly parts repairs.

Super cozy. Daylight two lamp t 8 fluorescent lights x4. Natural gas furnace and insulated and tinned walls. My wife only parks her car in there. So the other side has 4 bikes. It can fit two full size trucks with plenty of room. It's my get away place. Oh and beer fridge.

Single car garage with insulated concrete walls and floor heating. Nice +18degC weather all year long. Outside is +2degC and icy rain... In the next couple of months all riding will be on frozen lakes with a 450 Honda and tires with spikes. :thumbsup:

Pekka

I work and build in a 1 car garage 12 x 24, insulated ceiling, and a elc heater,small and
cozy,with the tools box,press,welder,build table,wife's bike,and all the extra parts and eng.'s.it was about 32*f today and it was about 55 in there.so not too bad.

Yes , I'm blessed with a nice warm cave (Chair, Ashtray, Cocktail, Music, :thumbsup:). Had this week off from work and really enjoying myself in the shop. The '75 rebuild is going like clockwork... :wink2: Thanks to many of you guys experience with these old bikes. I've read and learned a ton from the forum. THANKS!

DSC06066_zpsbffe2a75.jpg

This picture was a few days ago but it's still a comfortable 65' inside, about 20' outside today... All is well....

HAPPY 2015!!! The old girl is turning 40 :laugh:

Back