Cross over shaft .Is this amount of float normal ?

peanut

XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I'm still preturbed about the amount of free float in the cross over shaft and the fact that the starter motor pinion is so loose on the shaft that it can rub on the inner face of the case .

In the video ..Is this amount of movement normal ? or am I missing some washers, shims or something ? :shrug:

That looks normal.

It's only in use when your using the electric start so would take forever to wear the case. Gear and shaft just sit there, not rotating.

I thought you were elimination the starter.

If so you can remove those bits all together.

BUT, if you change your mind later, it's pull apart and reinstall.

So leaving them in allows the option of re-installing the electric starter later.

The only thing you might check is which side of that gear fits, or rubs, against the case. One side might be a little thicker to keep the teeth of the gear away from the case itself.

That looks normal.

The only thing you might check is which side of that gear fits, or rubs, against the case. One side might be a little thicker to keep the teeth of the gear away from the case itself.

thats a good idea Brian thanks. I never thought of that! :doh: I'll check to see if there is a difference between either side . Thanks for replying :thumbsup:

Its an amazingly crude arrangement considering the amount of power it needs to handle

Hi guys. I'm worrying about this same issue. What's the conclusion?

I am deleting my starter too and removing the gears but I was going to leave the cross over shaft and gear in place so that if I need to re-install the starter I won't have to split the cases. However I'm worried by how much play there is and the fact that the gear just slops about and is able to clatter against the casing. Won't this end up being noisy and rattling when the engine is running? I know it won't be turning but surely it's gonna vibrate against the case? Or is there something that keeps it in place when the cases are back together?

If anyone could let me know id be really grateful. Cheers

Hi Adi
I never did find an answer to that particular issue so I just left it as it was .

Once I had built the engine and ran it , it sounded fine on the starter.

I think its a good idea to retain the crossover shaft and cogs for possible use later. The extra weight is pretty negligible .

I'm glad I kept my starter to be honest. I am fortunate that the bike seems to start first kick but I could imagine that if you ever got starting issues or were doing some testing it would get a real PITA to keep kicking it.:banghead:

If you ever need any advice on the build or just a bit of reassurance I'm just down the road to you ,feel free to PM or email me or I can give you my phone No :thumbsup:
John

Back