Cutting up a frame and stability question

Inevitable

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Can you realistically remove what I have outlined in the image and still be structurally sound?

Just curious about your thoughts

Attachments

• question.jpg
    question.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 298
I wouldn't. It maybe ok but why cut it out? It triangulates the supports for the top of the shocks. Removing them might make the frame too flexible.
Leo

Removing them might make the frame too flexible.
Leo

Too flexible for what?

Too flexible to be competitive in a vintage road race, probably.

Too flexible for a street bike to get from point A to point B at the posted speed limit, um, no.

I cut mine out when I chopped the bike five years ago. The performance did not suffer at all, it still takes me 20 minutes to get to work.

However, last year it did start to crack right above the pivot plate. I welded a splint over it and will keep an eye on it.

Just my opinion, the swingarm is already pretty light, and the bushings stink out of the box. Adding flex at the shocks, I would imagine, would have a tendicy to wear that joint faster, at the least. I'm a bigger guy and I corner hard on everything I ride, and that's my perspective. Your mileage may vary.

As far as structurally sound, sure, it's been done, but the fatigue life might be shortened.

$0.02

Too flexible for what?

Too flexible to be competitive in a vintage road race, probably.

Too flexible for a street bike to get from point A to point B at the posted speed limit, um, no.

I cut mine out when I chopped the bike five years ago. The performance did not suffer at all, it still takes me 20 minutes to get to work.

However, last year it did start to crack right above the pivot plate. I welded a splint over it and will keep an eye on it.

Hey Riggs any pictures of your build?

Also, I'm heading to put the MCM Brat kit and thinking that the bent in it and the larger diameter all the way to the backbone will probably help get the stress away from the top shock mounts if I remove those 2 cross tubes, what you guys think about that?

Last edited:
Sorry to Jon at MCM for copyrights!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I just modify this pic and I'm thinking the angle of the shocks with the seat rails(larger od than stock) can push the energy foward on the back bone and that can make the frame as stiff as a stock ... maybe gusseting under tubings at the BB location can definitly help too... instead of a '' stock '' geometry that will push it up on the rail and maybe get the frame a little bit more flexible if you cut the two cross tubes.

What you guys think?

That's kinda what I was thinking but with the visual impact build...I'm curious because I'm trying to figure out the most aesthetic way to put a battery box under there without actually hiding the battery box and electrical.

Back