DIY SS Brake lines. Any thoughts?

Fossi

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking of changing my brake lines with SS lines. I have two local options. One shop can produce the whole thing for me but I have to take the whole system to them, M/C, all couplings, T-valve etc. The other shop has a kit where I get the bajos I need, pre-cut lines and just mount it myself. The banjos are almost like JIC-fittings(hopefully it doesn't leak just as much). Just put the SS-line inn, screw the nut thight and voila, new SS brake lines. Anyone with some experience from a similar kit? I have to install it myself regardless of wich method I choose, but the DIY-kit is less than halv price.

I would get them to crimp it up, if they warranty thier work for a year. If you do it, and it leaks, nobody to cuss but yourself! I just don't trust that type of fitting. Not awesome in the aircraft world, so I wouldn't have high hopes for it in an environment where it is taking more flexing abuse

$0.02

That is just what I'm thinking. But I figured I could check here. If there where many who tried them and they worked well I would just make my own, but brakes is not the best place to save a few bucks

Fossi,

Like you said, brakes are not the place to save money. I would recommend http://www.spieglerusa.com/brakes.html . They are the best but not the most expensive.

I would also suggest that you buy a single brake line and eliminate the junction box which serves no purpose unless you have dual front disks. You will save almost half the cost because you only need two fittings. Use a length of fuel line to determine the length and routing of the hose. Be sure you have the front wheel off the ground when you do the measurement.

I have dual front discs so a single line wouldn't be much of an upgrade. I guess I'll just have to open my wallet and have someone make the lines for me. The price wasn't that bad and it's no hurry. The old brake still works like a charm, I'm just a bit worried about the expected liftime of brake lines from 1977.

A good thing to worry about, I have seen a few of these old brake lines that were swollen and shedding rubber internally. I am as guilty as the next guy but really no one should ride on original brake lines. I think the factory schedule is three years but a 10 year replacement schedule is a small price to pay for maintenance peace of mind.

Slingshot-cycles.com

Been using his lines for about 5 years now on a handful of 70's bikes I've worked on, no issues and great customer service.

Posted via Mobile

A good thing to worry about, I have seen a few of these old brake lines that were swollen and shedding rubber internally. I am as guilty as the next guy but really no one should ride on original brake lines. I think the factory schedule is three years but a 10 year replacement schedule is a small price to pay for maintenance peace of mind.

Right. I have 5 motorcycles and the first thing I did to each of them when they came through the garage door is rip out the brake lines and the master cylinders and replaced with new. The caliper is a simple device and you can take it apart and see every little nook and cranny and put a kit in and it's good as new, but not so for the master cylinder and brake lines. When I squeeze the brake lever, the bikes come to a quick and controlled stop...no surprises...:yikes:.....I like that...:thumbsup:

Back