DT100 19in front wheel XS650 Chopper ?'s

darynar1016

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So this is my first build and this site has been really quite helpful for random bits of information I may need. This is one I can't quite find an answer for so here is what I'm working with:

I am running 34mm XS650 front end, I have no idea what year it is. It has some weird damper assembly that I haven't seen in any of the manuals.
I want to run a dt100 mini drum front wheel with a Avon speedmaster.
My axle width for the front end is 17mm and the DT100 is 12mm.
I am considering having spacers made for my forks to run the 12mm axle with the 17mm fork spacing but wondered:

Will the axle be too thin for running on this chopper? Does anyone have experience running this front wheel/anything like it?
And if the spacer idea won't work, has anyone ran anything like this a different way?

I have read that some people have drilled out the drum a few mm and used the stock axle with new bearings in the hub. That seems permanent and risky compared to just using metal spacers.
Just looking for any input.

I was also curious as to what ratio speedometer I can run with the dt100 wheel? Didn't know if anyone had any experience or ideas with this too?

And do the DT100's have front brake stays? I can't seem to see where it would go/mount and I wanted to find out before I have my forks shaved.

I know that was a lot of rambling but I wanted to make sure I got everything out.

Thanks and I appreciate and help anyone can offer.

That steering damper was used on the first couple years on the 650's.
Drum brakes were held stationary by either a brake stay or lugs on the forks that mated with lugs on the brake plate.
The 70-71 650's used a drum brake and had a lug on the left fork that engaged matching lugs on the brake plate.
Will the DT100 brake plate match to the lugs on an xs1 fork? I can't say.
On the speedo I think all Yamaha's used the same ratio. As well as most Japanese bikes.
Leo

it would be better to use the heavier axle the DT100 with a 12mm axle uses
DT100 A/B/C/D/E/F 76-85 uses 6301 2RS 12x37x12 bearings
replace with 91002-KAE-003 BEARING (17X37X12) (Honda Code 4688644)
http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/honda/H-91002-KAE-003.html
don't forget the oil seals this way your axle will fit the fork without a bunch of screwing around, wheel spacing will be different so some fabrication of spacers will be required and brake plate will need drilled for larger axle

Attachments

• FRONT_WHEEL.png
    FRONT_WHEEL.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 218
Back