Electric impact gun suggestions

pumps

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Today I pulled the right side cover off , looked at my clutch! and I've decided to bite the bullet and buy an electric impact gun. Any suggestions/reviews?:confused:

Funny to see this post as I was about to ask the same question. I do not have an air compressor and was wondering if anyone had experience with cordless impact drivers. are they as powerful as an air powered impact tool? I am looking at a few brands with about 1,000 lbs of torque. Any suggestions or input would be helpful as there are some good deals on cordless hand tools with Christmas near.
Thank you.

A hammer impact driver works fine. I wouldn't want a power impact wrench anywhere near. I can see the broken and stripped bolts now....

pumps, I have an older (30-40 yo) B&D that has had at least one new set of brushes installed. Still works just fine. Also a newer (6-7 yo) DeWalt that does OK.
The fault in the newer gun is the locking pin for the socket. They made it a little cheaper and it is harder to get depressed to release the socket.

I also have an old Black & Decker I got from work years ago .....

B-DImpact.jpg

It generates something like 240 ft/lbs of torque and works quite well. I only use it on the bigger, really tight nuts like the clutch basket retaining nut, counter shaft sprocket nut, or a really stuck drain plug.

Makita sells a new 18 volt cordless impact gun and that little sucker is awesome, it may not do truck wheel lug nuts but to use around the shop on bikes etc it would be perfect!
Model BTD142HW $214 bucks at home depot

I picked up a cheapy from a truckload sale at the county fair grounds. Around $35 It's big, heavy and clumsy. As 5twins says on the big stuff like clutch hub nuts, sprocket nuts it is great. Get a set of 6 point sockets to use it with. 12 points can slip.
On clutch spring bolts the hammer powered impact is the thing to use. Works well for the points and advancer housings

When working at my Dads I use his old Craftsman. It works great. Even though he has a compressor it is so much easier to plug it into the wall and go to work. Like XSLeo said, get an impact socket set too.

I've had two 3/8 drive Snap On electric impacts, used daily. First one made it 3 years and it was abused. Had my new one for about a year now. Used daily again and it still works like brand new.

Back