Emblem coverup

xlr8tn

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently stripped my tank and found a ton of grey stuff covering up where the tank emblems went. I cleaned it up with the wire wheel. Can anyone tell me what product might have bee used?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 128
Hi xlr8tn,
most likely it's whatever body filler the dreaded PO had handy when he decided to flush over the tank mounts.
If you want to return to the flush look, whatever body filler you have handy will work OK.
If you want to refit tank badges, once you've cleaned the body filler out of the two tapped holes (I think they are M3) in the mounting strap the badge area is already clean enough to do that.

Anyone know what year this tank is from? It has a single side petcock opening and filler cap is offset to the right. Also, since I stripped the paint off of the tank it has side emblem mounting points. Just need to make sure that I order the right emblems.

-brent

Attachments

• IMG_3420.jpg
    IMG_3420.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3402.jpg
    IMG_3402.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3409.jpg
    IMG_3409.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 78
Anyone know what year this tank is from? It has a single side petcock opening and filler cap is offset to the right. Also, since I stripped the paint off of the tank it has side emblem mounting points. Just need to make sure that I order the right emblems.
-brent

Hi Brent,
the offset filler cap means it's off a Special. The single petcock opening means it's off a late model Special, not sure about exactly when but my best guess is 1980 or later.
The earlier oval badges won't fit that tank's badge mounting plates.
MikesXS #65-6502 (gold lettering on black) or #65-6503 (silver lettering on black) is the badge set you need.
FWIW, my '84 Heritage came with gold on black badges, not sure about other years, I'd go with the colour that made the best match with the paint I'd picked for the tank.

Hi fredintoon--do you happen to know the exact measurement from hole to hole on those earlier badges? And also possibly edge to edge sizes too?
Thanks

The Tank is from 80SG/G - 84SL.

Both of the links to the Badges, Angus67 posted, will fit the Tanks from the 78SE-84SL. 78/79 Special tanks had 2 petcocks and the later 80, (BS34 Carbs), and on had a single petcock

Mikes sells an earlier, (XS1/1B/XS2), badge to suit the Special tank.........As per Angus67's link...........several on here have them on their Special tanks and they look good.

Thanks for the tip, but I would really like to know if this badge will cover the emblem dent for the 80 special tank.
www.mikesxs.net/product/65-6500.html

No, according to the details listed on that link.....
Details

Tank Badge - Fits: 1970-72 XS1/XS1b/XS2 650's. Black and Red background with white chrome letters. Original for 1970 XS1. Note: Will not fit later 650's. Tank emblem.

The two I listed will cover the emblem dent, and only those two. The screws for the emblem are offset on the later tanks

Hi all: I just bought a '76 "C" model which has an ok tank but the graphics are missing as are those from the side covers.

I've checked Mikes XS and all they have are plastic/metal Yamaha logos for the tanks of either early bikes or later Specials. Does anyone make a set of decals for the mid-year '75-76 model tanks and side covers (which only had decal graphics)?

Cheers,

MaxPete

Thanks - what a great group! My old 1975 XS650B was a terrific bike and I'm really happy to now be back in the XS650 fold with my (slightly grubby - but coming back) 1976 XS650C.

Cheers!

Pete

Back