Engine ID, very confused here

SangreDeDios

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Got this motor that i was planning on using and im trying to id it.
Kinda confusing here, according to model id this should be a 76 motor.
the vin number is 447-209xxx. However the motor is not a points motor, its a tci motor.
Also something kinda weird about the tach drive, its plugged but it looks to be "slugged" almost stock if you're looking at it. I dont get it.

Anybody have any idea?

IMG01145.jpg

What is the serial number of the motor found behind where the front motormount " rat trap" bolts on, that is about three inches in from the tach drive hole.? I am not aware of an XS650 sold stock that did not have a tach.

the only number is see is what im assuming is a vin #, 447-209xxx.
Also there is 2h stamped on a slug directly to the right of the tach drive.
Any ideas? im confused because this is supposed to be a points motor, and its not. weird.

Yes, that engine is a 76. As gggGary said some one blocked off the tach. A cap that just screws on over where the cable hooks.
It is easy to swap ignitions from engine to engine. If you want the TCI then run with it. If you don't then use something else.
Does it have the stator with the pick up? Do you have the rest of the Ignition parts? TCI box and coil.
If it has the TCI stator And nothing else I would use the stator because it will be easier to hook up the Chrysler regulator to.
If you have the TCI parts, it is a good ignition as long as it works, when it quits then not so much. Adding an after market ignition is fairly easy. Several kits out there.

I sometimes forget that I am working on 30+ year old motors. I am not suppose to expect anything to be found as it was stock. Look at what we are all doing here, or most of us. Wonder what the porr guys who tries to figure out what our motors are 20 years from now. By then a stock motor will be truly rare.

the only number is see is what im assuming is a vin #, 447-209xxx.
Also there is 2h stamped on a slug directly to the right of the tach drive.
The engine # and vin tend to match on the XS650's on other brands and models it isn't always the case, but a lot of XS650s I have seen have matching engine #/VINs.

Some of those numbers might be inspection marks. As each step or after a few steps an inspector looks at the engine and stamps his number as proof the engine is going together right. Kinda like the slip of paper you find in the pocket of new clothes, inspeted by # whatever.

might be worth pulling the cover to see if the little shim ring is floating in there or pulling the plug to see if tach. drive is there still

Yes, that engine is a 76. As gggGary said some one blocked off the tach. A cap that just screws on over where the cable hooks.
It is easy to swap ignitions from engine to engine. If you want the TCI then run with it. If you don't then use something else.
Does it have the stator with the pick up? Do you have the rest of the Ignition parts? TCI box and coil.
If it has the TCI stator And nothing else I would use the stator because it will be easier to hook up the Chrysler regulator to.
If you have the TCI parts, it is a good ignition as long as it works, when it quits then not so much. Adding an after market ignition is fairly easy. Several kits out there.

I'm not sure that you can see it from the picture but it is not just a cap that screws into the tac drive, it's actually been plugged with a slug. it does not screw on or off, it is not ment to come out.
I havent pulled the cover off yet to look at the stator.

The engine # and vin tend to match on the XS650's on other brands and models it isn't always the case, but a lot of XS650s I have seen have matching engine #/VINs.

Thats what i've always thought but who knows.

Some of those numbers might be inspection marks. As each step or after a few steps an inspector looks at the engine and stamps his number as proof the engine is going together right. Kinda like the slip of paper you find in the pocket of new clothes, inspeted by # whatever.

Yeah that makes sense but I have 4 other xs650's sitting in the garage and none of them have marks like these. weird.

might be worth pulling the cover to see if the little shim ring is floating in there or pulling the plug to see if tach. drive is there still

Yes thats my next step im gonna pull both covers and take a look.

I am just a little confused because when i look under the "points" cover there are no provisions for points at all which makes me think that its a later model motor. Unless somebody just swapped the head?? I dont know, the motor came out of a bike that was built as a racer but unfortunately i have no history on it.

The housings that held the pointa and advancer are all the same from 70 up. When they went to the TCI ignition they just stopped putting in the points and advancer parts.
If you look close you may find that the bushes are still in the cam. The ones the rod rode in.
To install the points ignition, you just get all the points parts and put them in.

Back